Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

dx or no dx which would you choose??

(14 Posts)
lisad123 Wed 03-Jun-09 20:16:05

Had dd1 CDAC appointment on Monday, and the Dr there agreed she is has ASD, but said she didnt feel a formal dx would be helpful to anyone at this time as school are doing what they should and so are we and because of this her learning isnt affected (she's very bright) and its not having too much impact on her life at home (but only because we prepare well and have good routines)

Now i dont know what to do for the best. I know without dx she wont get help at school as such, and i dont know what her teacher will be like next year, and then she'll have transitions from Infant to jr school with totally different staff, senco ect?
Is it just a cope out from Dr? saves funding ect? Help please

5inthebed Wed 03-Jun-09 20:46:14

Personally, I would want a DX as could (possibly) mean more help.

busybeingmum Wed 03-Jun-09 20:56:47

Message withdrawn

catok Wed 03-Jun-09 21:23:57

Dx.

Why? Because we had not got dx when son did transition from infs to juniors and all the changes threw him. Ed psych even questioned schizophrenia (not her place to, I know!)

Dx meant that school could get support for him, despite no statement; we had Camhs support and he lost the label of 'uncontrollable child with over-protective mother' and gained one of Asperger's.

Dx, and give copy to school yourself and make sure they continue to give support as necessary - having just seen mine through Year 6 SATs, that is another stressful time which needs to be very carefully planned for.

HelensMelons Wed 03-Jun-09 22:02:03

Definitely dx

Never know whats around the corner - life is unpredictable.

chegirl Wed 03-Jun-09 22:05:37

Have to say Dx. The thought of a lable is not nice but its how our society works unfortunately.

Not sure if DS will ever get a DX and his lack of one has definately caused problems.

Good luck.

Littlefish Wed 03-Jun-09 22:09:08

Definitely dx. As you say, you don't know what her teacher will be like next year. The diagnosis will provide opportunities for additional support around transitions, SATs etc.

coppertop Wed 03-Jun-09 22:27:47

I would want a dx too. Even if it turns out that your dd1 doesn't need any more help than she's currently getting it's very useful to have the dx there as a back-up in case something changes.

The other thing to consider is that in KS2 the expectations for children are very different. They are expected to be far more independent and take on much more responsibility. It can be difficult to adapt to that without a certain level of support.

eidsvold Wed 03-Jun-09 22:31:37

I would get a diagnosis because as much as we hate labelling our children - bureaucracy can't cope without a label and it really does make things easier.

PipinJo Wed 03-Jun-09 22:44:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pickyvic Wed 03-Jun-09 22:53:33

and what changes? the dx simply explains their behavour - it doesnt change it or them. id go for DX everytime if its correct. ive got an aspie of 17, doing A levels at college now - i should still have L plates...lol but at least he understands and during the more difficult times having the DX helped.
x

lisad123 Wed 03-Jun-09 23:20:09

thanks, I was quite angry too as she kinda used dh cancer as another reason, saying "I dont think it would be helpful at this time, especially as you have so much else to deal with" hmm She also was very quick to check date of referal as soon as mention of cancer, silly moo.

I have called and refused to let them discharged and said I want a review appointment in 6 months, is that a good move??
Oh and the icing on the cakes was "Idont really feel the need for a formal dx, but I can see YOU really want one". Made me feel like I was pushing for it, as if i was making it up. hmm
I guess its my own fault, felt very uncomfetable talking about DD1 with her there in the room, knowing she was listening. Maybe should have been more pushy.

god its been a crap week

cory Thu 04-Jun-09 09:21:35

I agree dx- because you can't know what his situation will be like this time next year. A new teacher, a new headteacher, something changing in his environment could totally upset the applecart.

Oh and I know these paeds who make you feel there is something creepy about you if you push for a diagnosis.

sc13 Thu 04-Jun-09 14:11:57

We just had a dx, and it's opened so many doors, including financial ones (sorry to be pragmatic). I think it's abominable the way they're using your DH's illness - if anything ime having a dx gives you more peace of mind and gets you more help, not the opposite. Hope things get better soon, and that your DH makes a full recovery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now