Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

continued ......statement

(77 Posts)
bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 10:41:21

i cant find my original thread regarding statement

anyway it was needing complete re write i sent back highlighted pages and lengthy letter saying what i wasn't happy with etc

well i phoned today as had nothing back and apparently am getting a re written statement sent out in next couple of days with the changes that i have asked for

so fingers crossed this one will make more sense and the changes will be right for him i can only hope

i was surprised no meeting was needed lets hope this one covers all his needs though the last thing i want to do is appeal it again

sc13 Wed 03-Jun-09 11:07:04

Fingers crossed - we've only just started with the process and so not looking forward to it

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 11:20:31

make sure when you get it you read it like you don't know your child's needs if it doesn't explain how to deal with or what actions are needed clearly then don't accept it

they used big words sounded good but didnt mean a thing couldn't work out what they were asking at all

good luck with yours

i can only hope the re write is good and accurate and makes sense they said they have made the changes i had put in my letter so with any luck it is as i asked

sc13 Wed 03-Jun-09 11:23:11

All my best hopes on your statement BBgirl, it's been such a long and drawn out thing. Sometimes I think they play a game of wearing parents out, to see how many just give up

mysonben Wed 03-Jun-09 11:29:59

Good luck with your re-write. It must be frustrating to go through all this .
We have decided to wait until next year to see how ds progress before starting the process for a statement.
How long does can it take from begining to end?

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 12:05:27

it took around 5 mths to get first proposed statement now another 2 weeks waiting for re write and then we'll have to see how this one goes

i would say if your ds is starting next sept start after x mas for the statement gives you time in between to deal with problems and have it up and running for the sept

mysonben Wed 03-Jun-09 12:15:11

Yes , i thought after xmas might be a good time , especially that by then ds will have had his second appointment with the paed (due in october).

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 12:21:49

we put ours in before x mas but due to time of year was seen to in jan we heard back beginning of may and gives you time for any mishaps in between it , it'll all be worth the hassle in the end as long as ds gets all the help he needs i dont mind the stress getting it

misscutandstick Wed 03-Jun-09 12:34:16

dont mean to hyjack, but wondered if statements are like a yearly thing or if they have to be re-done every now and then... or perhaps its just when you feel that something needs changing in current statement?

we too are just starting on the statementing journey sad

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 12:49:41

i think they assess the statement yearly from what i could see to do with hours given etc cutting the hours if any needs have to be added etc think it can be reviewed earlier also

its a tough time isn't it good luck with yours x

madwomanintheattic Wed 03-Jun-09 13:46:55

they are reviewed annually (or six monthly if before the 5th birthday) - you might see posters referring to 'AR' - annual review.

in theory all interested parties should be contacted and asked for updates, and some schools hols an AR meeting which everyone is invited to... who turns up is another matter.

that said... i suspect strongly that ar is not carried out in a fair amount of cases and the statement just rolls along unless there is a huge problem. it can work both ways - i've been in a school where pupils statements were irrelevant as they had been written 7 or 8 years previously and did not reflect the child as they now presented, but everyone just said 'we don't have time' and carried on.

bubblagirl - we had the same situation and our re-write came back exactly as i had specified. fingers crossed.

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 14:04:48

well if thats the case i hope so as mine was much better grin lol

thank you

meltedmarsbars Wed 03-Jun-09 14:26:54

We had to do complete re-write too: orginally LEA specified mainstream fulltime with classroom 1:1 only - for a child who cannot walk, talk or feed herself and has severe ld.
We had a real problem to get them to understand what was needed and eventually got our County Councillor involved to facilitate a meeting with the LEA. This took place at the mainstream sch so they could put their points across too. It was only possible with the full co-operation of the local mainstream and SN schools.

Annual Review takes place at school, often at same time as "multidisciplinary" meeting but in all honesty you and the school would be aware if the statement was not appropriate.

The important thing is to include the minimum number of hours from each discipline per week/term. You won't get more than stated, imo, so if eg SALT is the most important, get the minimum hours you would be happy with included on the statement.

Good luck with the re-write.

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 14:29:58

thank you they didnt even add SALT so i requested this to be added with specified hours for all things they were going to do , to write it to make his needs clearer, i asked for lunch time help to ask for food etc

danger awareness school trips no specified 1-1 to help him no 1-1 mentioned at all

so hopefully it will come back correct for his needs this time they do like to chance things dont they

meltedmarsbars Wed 03-Jun-09 14:36:10

Good Luck

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 14:43:09

thank you

madwomanintheattic Wed 03-Jun-09 17:45:30

do you need 1-1 to be trained in how to deal with choking incidents? we got it written in for lunch/ snack cover...

madwomanintheattic Wed 03-Jun-09 17:47:37

apols if not - i vaguely remember your ds might be similar to dd2... but i might be confused - i'm rubbish at remembering usernames and childrens foibles lol.

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 19:36:27

lol it does get hard ds isnt a choker no but will need 1-1 due to communication as he has atypical speech sounds , social communication disorder which is ASD but he will not speak to anyone outside of the home unless he gets to know them first which isnt a bad thing i suppose

but makes it hard at preschool as will not respond will not express any of his needs will not speak due to speech sounds all his words sound so similar no one understands him very well

danger awareness i needed added and i need whoever to be dealing with him to be ASD trained

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 19:38:20

dont worry took me along time to learn who was who on here still struggling with new ones coming in lol but still thats the good thing with us lot were not judgey its nice that everyone cares x

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 12:55:34

grin

Phoenix4725 Thu 04-Jun-09 15:29:23

fingers crossed bubblagirl that you get what bubblaboy needs let us know how itgoes your nervers must be as stretched as mine.mind with dd in hospital with infection in her ankle all from silly graze ,you could twang my nerves nicely

quick update ,just had meeting with lea regarding ds there 2nd draught lot better they uped from 22 to 34 hes borderline complex/severe needs and added will need supervison lunch an breaks and increased salt to daily work and visits half termly also that any group work must be with children working at his level mentally and verbally .so on whole pretty happy but will still run it past ipsea.

Also getting them to add his new speech dx and need for communcation equipment and training so be round 3 ,luckily ds salt is very good and has mostly manged to nial their balls to the tree

but now its got to go to panel about the school placement will hear within next 3 weeks hopefully
if get what i want will be so relieved if not be gearing up for round 4

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 15:35:46

oh well done phoenix that sounds much better doesn't it fingers crossed for the outcome should be fine though

sorry to hear about dd hope she is ok and has speedy recovery x

fingers crossed for the re write for bubbla boy i'm hoping they have really seriously changed it and upped his hours we only need 5 extra to get lunch support

i guess i'll see when it arrives fingers crossed really nervous so much lies on this

he has his first induction day tomorrow afternoon at school so that'll be interesting to see how he handles this he has 1 a week throughout june

i'll let you know when new statement arrives and lets hope our outcomes will be good

then we'll have that meet up and have few crates glasses of wine grin

Phoenix4725 Thu 04-Jun-09 15:47:48

hell yeah think we deserve itwonders just ho many bottles glasses we could get through

Hope bubblaboy has a good day tomorrow at school wow here induction is 1 30 min vist with preschool and another of hr with us parents other than that come september there in .
here full time statement is 32 1/2 hrs as they start 8.45 finsh 3,15 .The local school repliedback said theywill take him im like yeah i bet you would thats lot of extra finacial and support in the class moi cynical .
yep

bubblagirl Thu 04-Jun-09 15:53:14

yeah typical of the school lets not worry about his needs just the money

lets hope he can go sn school with other children similar to his needs bless him

yeah he is looking forward to big school he doesn't quite get the real idea of it yet but it sounds good as he'll be a big boy but as long as he stays happy and accepting then it'll be better for him

i'm not sure how many bottles glasses are in a crate bottle but we could find out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now