Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fish Oil - what doseage

(5 Posts)
Ellie4 Wed 03-Jun-09 09:09:53

What doseage of fish oil do you use for your dc? We use the Boots Omega 3 liquid for babies and children. I give 2.5 ml to both ds1 who is 2.9 and poss ASD and the same to ds2 who is 11mth. This is the dosage stated on the bottle. I feel it makes a diff to ds1 as when I have had a few days where I haven't given it he seems more withdrawn. This has happened a few times now naughty mummy blush
A 5ml dose is from 6 yrs but I was wondering if a higher dose would be beneficial. Are there any risks with giving a higher dose of fish oil?
There doesn't seem to be a RDA for fish oil.
Thanks

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 09:17:25

just keep doing as it says or change his fish oils to one that has higher dosage for his age

my ds is on eye q and it was 6 chews a day for 12 weeks and then 2 a day

but if you see its working then keep it as it is

magso Wed 03-Jun-09 10:47:48

My son is much older and usually I give him Eskimo oil at the recommended dose. However if I miss several days (I blame the school rush!) I give him a double dose on the day I resume giving it to him. Like bubblagirl the brand I used when I first started giving oil to ds at rising 3- eyeq - recommended a double dose for the first 3 months to make up for possible storage shortages. I do not know if it safe to do this with other brands.
Perhaps a good health shop could answer?

StillUnderThirthy Wed 03-Jun-09 19:38:06

I am wondering the same thing, I give my almost two years old dd, who is yet to speak, around 3 ml, and since I don't see that much difference, i.e. no speak, I wonder if I should give more...

Anyone know if you can O.D. on fish oil? ;)

pushkar Wed 03-Jun-09 21:17:42

hi i am a mu of an autistic child we dont used high street brands as they often have colourings or peanut oil in them so we use
calons fish oils
eskimo fish oils plain or lemon and usual amount for any child is around 10ml over 4yrs
but all bottles should tell you reccommended dose
we also use codliver oil fantastic for eye contact
kirkmans brand is great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now