Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Processing/ integration "issues"

(6 Posts)
NaccetyMac Tue 02-Jun-09 17:29:07

Is what we have been told DS1 (aged 3y 10m) may have.

Anyone been there done that? Any good advice? He appears to be a little hypersensitive to sound and texture, and hyposensitive in the vestibular areas.

I am planning to take him trampolining, lol.

Have a meeting with the OT in a couple of weeks.

2specialkids Tue 02-Jun-09 20:00:33

Hi NaccetyMac, we are going through the same thing with ds2 (just 7). hes been to OT but she thinks there is far more going on and he is going to need a lot more assessments/tests done. I dont have much info but good luck anyway.

mumgoingcrazy Tue 02-Jun-09 20:58:46

Hi Naccetymac, DD2 (almost 2) has the same. I've known since she was 12 months and has been having weekly Physio/OT/SALT and since 15 months had weekly Portage.

A really good book is "The out of sync child" and also "The Out of sync child has fun". It explains it all so clearly and the latter book has loads of activities to do for the various problem senses.

DD2 initially was severely tactile defensive and until she was 15 months didn't touch anything or would be touched. This has now been sorted through a sensory diet. Her auditory processing is our biggest issue followed by visual processing.

The OT will do a sensory assessment and then give you an appropriate sensory diet. So far ours has been deep pressure brushing and joint compressions, and we are now coming to the end of a Therapeutic Listening program which has worked wonders with her.

Good luck, there are lots of mums on here coping with the same and they've helped me so much. Keep post

mumgoingcrazy Tue 02-Jun-09 20:59:02

Hi Naccetymac, DD2 (almost 2) has the same. I've known since she was 12 months and has been having weekly Physio/OT/SALT and since 15 months had weekly Portage.

A really good book is "The out of sync child" and also "The Out of sync child has fun". It explains it all so clearly and the latter book has loads of activities to do for the various problem senses.

DD2 initially was severely tactile defensive and until she was 15 months didn't touch anything or would be touched. This has now been sorted through a sensory diet. Her auditory processing is our biggest issue followed by visual processing.

The OT will do a sensory assessment and then give you an appropriate sensory diet. So far ours has been deep pressure brushing and joint compressions, and we are now coming to the end of a Therapeutic Listening program which has worked wonders with her.

Good luck, there are lots of mums on here coping with the same and they've helped me so much. Keep posting

mumgoingcrazy Tue 02-Jun-09 20:59:45

Whoops didn't mean to post twice blush

MumOfThreeMonkeys Thu 04-Jun-09 09:12:13

hi, DD2 who will be 5 soon has the same, "out of sync child" is my bible because i didnt have a clue what was going on inside her head. OT has also helped her quite a lot and given her a weighted blanket as her sleep was starting to be affected. my dd2 spends her life in constant fear of sudden noises that send her into the worst panick attacks- we are waiting for a refferal to CAMHS so hopefully that will give us some help, it seems as she is getting older her sensory problems are getting worse.

sorry for ranting on, and good luck with OTsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now