Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do i teach ds1 (asd) to point it when weeing? (sorry if tmi)

(14 Posts)
SheWhoMustBeIgnored Tue 02-Jun-09 14:42:26

ds1 2.9 (asd) has started potty training grin he goes by himself takes pants off does his business, empies potty wipes it and flushes the toilet. he is very independent when he does something he has to do it well and wont let others help. when he pees he will not sit down he straddles the potty and sort of aims his whole body which means quite alot goes on the floor. dp didnt point his either angry and after a telling off has agreed to aim it especially when ds1 around but the damage is done. I cant get ds1 to hold it when weeing. any ideas on how to get him to aim it? would trying to get him to use toilet be easier? please share your knowledge with me as we are going to be nappy free for out and about soon!!!!!

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 14:46:14

My nt ds has crap aim! He is a fully functioning 8 year old!

Ditch the bathroom carpet, get a washable floor, marigolds and a large bucket.

Or put a floating cork/plastic toy (v small so won't block loo) for him to aim at. Needs to be something that won't flush away.

Or paint a fly to aim at on the inside of the ceramic loo at water-level.

Must do that myself....

HelensMelons Tue 02-Jun-09 15:22:15

cork might work.

My DS2 (asd, 8) aims where-ever and we are lucky to get it into the bowl at all - DS1 (nt 9) is just as inaccurate.

I HATE cleaning the toilet.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Tue 02-Jun-09 15:30:22

ping pong ball in the toilet bowl
floats
does not sink or get flushed
easy to aim for

5inthebed Tue 02-Jun-09 15:31:46

You can buy these blue ping pong size ball things that float in the toilet bowl for boys to aim at.

Ebay Have them, but you can get them cheaper at Asda/Tesco.

Phoenix4725 Tue 02-Jun-09 18:06:33

anyone finds way get the to pee in the loo please tell me as seems my nt teenagers seem to miss

BriocheDoree Tue 02-Jun-09 18:26:59

Eek!
Am about to start potty training my NT one and had thought it would be so much easier than my SN one, but hadn't considered the difference his being a boy might make to it grin !!

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 18:31:08

In some ways it is easier - boys can wee anywhere (well, within reason). My ds went outside when both loos were occupied. I asked him where he went. "At the back wheel of the van" he said, as if it were completely normal. He is 8

Actually, he missed potties and went straight to loo with insert seat and step.

tiredmummyoftwo Tue 02-Jun-09 19:33:10

DH showed him what to do and how to point grin, whenever he missed at the biginning, I was pointing it for him, he hated it and so started doing it properly, took it about couple of weeks with DH and me together. He likes doing it standing, so after couple of months of potty moved onto toilet.

SheWhoMustBeIgnored Wed 03-Jun-09 13:26:15

well he was nappy free at sn class today and managed to hold it in so that looks like another problem. ds1 likes throwing balls at the mo so i am scared of him weeing on the balls then picking them out for throwing practice with ds2 (will probably try when we move to toilet though). think though the holding it for him sounds good hopefully he will realise unless he does it i will. so scared of putting him of though as he is doing so well.

meltedmarsbars Wed 03-Jun-09 14:16:04

Colour the pingpong ball so that balls of that colour are only for weeing on? (could be confusing if some friend turns up with ball of same colour...)

maybe forget that suggestion.

magso Wed 03-Jun-09 16:17:38

I insist my very much older child cleans up the misses - but he has to be shown each splash as certainly would not get a cleaning contract. He still does not aim - unless its all boys together with dad!

alfiemama Wed 03-Jun-09 16:38:19

Lol, we had the same problem with Alfie (asd) we now just get him to "aim, fire" even his teacher who takes him to the loo says he still says this. But we do still have accidents.

magso Wed 03-Jun-09 16:43:10

Ps am very impressed that your sons progress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now