Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Will hell need to freeze before a NHS paed will recommend ABA?

(15 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Mon 01-Jun-09 18:18:46

Message withdrawn

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 01-Jun-09 19:25:10

If you build a case that ABA is suitable for his particular SEN, usually via paying for it yourself for a while and documenting that it is effective, you can win funding for ABA. Different LEAs are either more or less difficult, but it does not always mean a trip to tribunal. The crucial thing is to prove that ABA meets his particular educational needs and learning style (which the LEA is supposed to care about, though often they just want to shove the kid in the provision most cost-effective to them, rather than best for the kid). You may have a fight on your hands, but it can be won (I got part funding and did not go near tribunal). LEAs are not allowed to say they don't fund ABA, as they are legally obliged to look at each case on an individual basis ACCORDING TO THE CHILD'S PARTICULAR NEEDS. Good luck!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 01-Jun-09 20:08:06

Message withdrawn

PipinJo Mon 01-Jun-09 23:51:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Davros Tue 02-Jun-09 07:10:47

Our Paed saw nothing to prevent him taking an interest in and recommending/suggesting so-called educational approaches, so that is bo**ix! I agree witih Pipinjo's last sentence (and the rest of course grin), as DS was 2yrs old at dx there was no acceptable provision. Our LA has since opened an ASD nursery so that would no longer be the case although 2.5 is still very young to go to nursery even for NT children imo and certainly an argument you could use. Something I suggest to people to say also, when you have a very young child, is that all children learn enough at home first before going into any formal educational setting for it to make sense and that is what your DS needs to do too. We hd full funding for our home ABA program for 4 years but it is now much harder to get ironically, they sorted out provision and wised up to what parents might request and how they would do it. They did fund quite a number of programs and probably still do, although they like to keep it quiet, but I think its actually become harder since our day unbfortunately. Do you have a local advocate who knows anything about it? Our local one is great, she knows all about ABA as her DD goes to TreeHouse. If you are in a London borough you can contact her organisation, Elfrida Rathbone. HTH

smallwhitecat Tue 02-Jun-09 17:28:01

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Jun-09 17:54:50

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Tue 02-Jun-09 18:19:14

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 02-Jun-09 19:22:20

Starlight, if you email me I can give you the most up t date references to use in a request for funding that demonstate that ABA is a million times more effective than the dismal mishmash of multi-disciplinary intervention currently on offer to kids with SN which is an insult and a disgrace, and, all things considered, costs even more.

Special educational provision is a joke.

bethandotmairattiscalidotcodotuk

moondog Tue 02-Jun-09 19:24:58

Althoguh you might need a recommendation from a paed, chances are they won't even understand what ABA is or indeed what bog standard educational provision entails.

It doesn't matter how great somethnig looks on paper, when your child's destiny is usually in the hands of a poorly paid untrained 1:1 assistant who knows nothing and is just there as an extra pair of hands on whom your child will probably become horribly dependent (and thus passive and lacking in initiative.)

sickofsocalledexperts Tue 02-Jun-09 19:54:34

Moondog, I would love your ABA evidence document - I know it is the most proven method, but I often struggle to name the actual evidence. I will email you if that's ok?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Jun-09 20:12:27

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 04-Jun-09 12:12:18

Message withdrawn

Davros Thu 04-Jun-09 18:47:49

Are you a member of Peach? They used to have a funding pack to help get LA funding. They may have updated or replaced the one we had which was fairly useful. Although I did follow my own instincts too about how to justify funding.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 04-Jun-09 22:34:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now