Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Should i push for statementing?

(8 Posts)
sarah876 Mon 01-Jun-09 09:17:07

My son is going through the process of diagnosis....Aspergers ( a long winded road) but in the meantime he's education is suffering...if only he had the one to one he needs as he is very distracted in class. What do I do? Wait for diagnosis or push for it now. Can you get a statement without diagnosis of a problem? I think the SN teacher has concidered it but I am not very up to spead of how the system works. Im getting more concerned as time goes by. My son is 12 and in yr 7.

BONKERZ Mon 01-Jun-09 09:19:58

start the process, ipsea website have a letter you send initially and then LEA will send forms asking for more info. Get teachers to keep log of all your DS behaviour in school as this will give evidence to lea later on. Apply yourself and make sure you let the school know. You do not need a DX for a statement. My DS got 32.5 hours of 1:1 support with no dx!

Hassled Mon 01-Jun-09 09:22:11

The Statementing process will probably be easier if you do have that magic piece of paper with a diagnosis to wave about, but it's by no means absolutely necessary. If he's in Yr 7 probably the sooner you start the ball rolling the better. IPSEA explains the whole process well and has proforma letters etc.

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 01-Jun-09 09:22:34

Is he not on school action or school action plus?

I don't know, is the short anser to your Q - I think you should ask the LEA directly for an assessment, based on his educational needs. If you can demonstrate how he needs additional support and give examples of the problems he faces.

What are the school doing to support him?

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 01-Jun-09 09:23:14

w

sarah876 Mon 01-Jun-09 09:27:47

Thankyou I will go for it!

sarah876 Mon 01-Jun-09 09:28:35

He is on school action plus already.

sarah876 Mon 01-Jun-09 09:37:19

They have been very good and the SN teacher is now the lead professional as CAHMS were not doing their job properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now