Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How can I explain to DS2 that adverts aren't "real"?

(11 Posts)
busybeingmum Sat 30-May-09 22:34:06

Message withdrawn

busybeingmum Sat 30-May-09 23:21:16

Message withdrawn

Goblinchild Sun 31-May-09 02:16:11

Don't know how old he is, mine is 14 and still has trouble with the claims that ads make.
The latest one was advertising holidays 'Come to where the sun always shines'
So he spent 5 minutes with the atlas and then said 'It's no good mum, there isn't anywhere in the world that stands still all the time, So where is XXX?' With its 24 hour sunlight.

No solutions, other than perhaps getting him a mike and letting him act out/copy some of his favourite ads. My son had a large box when he was 6, with a hole cut in it for the screen. He spent a lot of time reciting things he'd heard on the tv whilst sitting in the box.

amberlight Sun 31-May-09 07:09:30

He's about 7 isn't he? Hmm, that's difficult. Adverts are very specific: They tell people to buy things/call that number now/go to a particular place.

It's totally confusing for many of us. It sometimes still confuses me, and I'm in my 40s blush. I spend a lot of my evenings wide eyed with astonishment at the weird things adverts demand that I do. On more than a few occasions I end up saying "Do I have to?" in a particularly sad way, before remembering that it's only an advert. Friends or family think I'm joking, but I'm really not.

SBC was saying that one of his university students with an ASD turned to him recently and said (more or less) "People tell lies?! Then how do you know what's true?" She was in her 20s and had no clue that sometimes people say things that aren't correct, deliberately. So don't worry too much about him not understanding it at age 7.

The worst thing is that the adverts tell lies. Well, not actually lie, but sort of lie - they mislead people into thinking that clothes really will be whiter than white/brighter coloured etc if you buy their product. For many of us, we're naive enough to believe them, too. It's one of the big worries about independent living.

Repetition may help. We can take up to 100 times to learn something (witness me on here sometimes <rolls eyes> ). Social stories are brilliant. But it may need something more visual at the time.

I wonder about a sheet of paper that can be blu-tacked to the screen when the adverts are on that shows a meaningful picture to remind him that this bit isn't real. But I suspect he may get cross and tear it off. Something similar to act as a reminder at each ad break. Or record all programmes and fast forward thru the ads.

The Counting Rules can help too, e.g. rule is that we can only have one of product X, none of product Y etc. If he can see a rule sheet with those things written/pictured on it and the number you can only have, it may help. Needs a lot of updating, and can be a challenge if you've just run out of Product Z of course, but it could be a start?

bubblagirl Sun 31-May-09 07:27:00

how about making a game of making your own adverts and encourage him to use his imagination then explain what your both doing is what they do on tv

my ds is too young so haven't faced this yet i just get made to dance with the dancing milkman and his umbrella

but again visual things work really well with my ds if i need to explain certain things could you maybe look on you tube see if videos of how to make an advert etc that he could see its just made by someone and not real

sorry not much help hope you can find an answer

ChopsTheDuck Sun 31-May-09 07:40:39

I'd sky plus and fast forward personally. I'm still not getting anywhere with ds1 who last week asked if all the rental dvd people lived in a big house like a family. He literally thinks real people are getting posted out in the dvds somehow <sigh>.

Widemouthfrog Sun 31-May-09 07:42:30

I have problems with adverts with my DS too - he is 6. He believes they are real and gets upset by the wierd and wonderful effects. I too try and explain that they are not real. I've got so frustrated trying to explain them and calm him down that we don't watch commercial TV anymore - cbeebies and CBBC only.

Sorry , not very helpful, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your difficulties.

busybeingmum Sun 31-May-09 08:54:59

Message withdrawn

2specialkids Sun 31-May-09 10:55:35

hi busybeingmum
I have similar problems with my ds2. he is just 7 and is seeing the oc wiith regards to sensory processing disorder.
He tends to think the effects etc are real. he begged me to get lego miners because he thought the little monsters and men came to life and played like they do on the advert. He also thought the pictures jumped out of magazines when you opened them, as on the adverts. I fell so sad for him as i try to explain but he doesn't understand too well. Do you think this could be linked to SPD or is this signs or something else. I am still lost in the mine field of info from my OT, peadiatrician and physio.

busybeingmum Sun 31-May-09 21:07:07

Message withdrawn

2specialkids Mon 01-Jun-09 17:02:53

thanks busybeingmum, they do suspect asd also but we are still early days. I think it was more of the lack of unerstanding with my ds2 he just couldn't get to grips with why these things weren't doing what they were supposed to. Bless him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now