Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can you help/advise me on a car seat, please?

(9 Posts)
feelingbetter Sat 30-May-09 21:06:23

DS (11 mths) has almost outgrown his car seat and, though his head control is massively improved, he is still a bit wobbly.

After a lengthy time breathing into a paper bag and a large brandy, I have now recovered from the shock at the price of SN seats, and now need your help to make this wise (and hefty) investment.

He currently weighs 11kg and I would like a seat that will last forever as long as possible.

I've looked at the Incarsafetycentre and seen the 2 way elite with head support, which seems to be the only one appropriate for his weight. Anybody had this one?

Any other sites/seats/info/reviews all gratefully received.
Thanks x

busybeingmum Sat 30-May-09 21:45:26

Message withdrawn

busybeingmum Sat 30-May-09 21:48:52

Message withdrawn

r3dh3d Sat 30-May-09 21:57:57

Google:
- DCS Joncare and
- JCM seating

Both sell more supportive seats than incarsafety. We went there for DD1's seat (the britax traveller plus) which I loathe and despise and would happily blow up with gelignite tomorrow. Not ICS's fault, just the seat which, imo, mings.

silverfrog Sat 30-May-09 22:20:16

not sure what exactly you need from a seat - what seat has your ds been in up to now?

woudl a rear facing seat suit, as long as it was the right size?

I have a BeSafe IziKid for dd2 (currently about 11kg) - it's rated up to 18kg, rear facing, which obviously gives better support than a forward facing seat. (it is actually rated to 25kg in Sweden, where it is made (and where there is more stringent testing, tbh), but those standards are not used here)

It is a great seat (I have the Isofix version, but that si quite expensive, as you currently have to import it), very secure, very comfy, etc.

feelingbetter Sun 31-May-09 07:51:11

Thank you all, off to google some more now!

DS has been fine in a standard rear facing seat till now and, not having any prognosis or diagnosis for him (other than that catch-all of GDD, some level of VI and epilepsy), we have no idea what his long term needs will be. We don't use the car that much for him - trips to hospital mostly

His OT and physio think he just a bit more support around his head and a 5 point harness would do the trick. I would prefer it to be rearfacing. OT recommended ICSC and that was about it.

My feeling at the moment is that if he continues to do as well as he is now, a well padded and supportive standard seat with a bit of a recline would do. But, with so many unknowns, I don't want to shell out for a decent standard seat, then find in a few months time, we need a SN one after all.

Thanks again

silverfrog Sun 31-May-09 09:53:41

if you thnk a standard (not that they are in the UK, but I mean a non-SN one) rearfacing seat would probably do, you could do worse than read here - there is a forum too, so you could ask what seats people are using.

Good luck!

feelingbetter Sun 31-May-09 10:31:17

Thanks Silverfrog! It is a very interesting site - I shall study at length later on.

Those crash test videos should give every Mum something to think about. Gave me quite a shock.

glitteryb6 Sun 31-May-09 13:40:07

we have a JCM Recaro, supplied by OT, suitable up to age 12.
it reclines and has a turntable base for easier access and comes with various accessories.
ds has the vest harness, groin harness and neck support, according to the paperwork that came with it, it cost around £850.

delichon do a version as well but im not sure of prices

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now