Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

C-PAP to help SATS and improve breathing

(9 Posts)
meltedmarsbars Fri 29-May-09 22:47:10

Anyone help me with any advice?

dd is 6.

GOSH have now talked about using this route to prevent partial lung collapses and to optimise breathing.

Is it a complete pain overnight? We already do feeding pump overnight.

anonandlikeit Fri 29-May-09 23:00:36

I've no experience of home CPAP, but ds2 did spend many weeks on CPAP in hospital, as a transition between full ventilation & O2 use after his lung collapse.

TBH it was very simular to nasal canular O2 except the air is pushed in under pressure.

As a baby ds2 tolerated it well but I'm not sure how he would cope now (he is 6) as although there are no invasive tubes the nasal canular is stiffer & more rigid than o2 nasal tubes & it was a tighter fit around the face to maintain the pressure.
I know of an adult who has CPAP who says its quite an unpleasant feeling as the air is forced in under pressure, but I think the pressure is variable so I guess it depends on the settings etc.

Hopefully someone with more advice will be along shortly. xx

meltedmarsbars Sat 30-May-09 22:15:04

Bump

meltedmarsbars Sat 30-May-09 22:15:24

Bump

glitteryb6 Sun 31-May-09 13:42:43

think theres someone on Special kids in the UK site who uses home cpap, are you a member there?

jetcat32 Sun 31-May-09 18:55:56

hi, i know its nowhere near the same, but i use a cpap for sleep apnea? Would i be of any use???

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 13:37:34

Hi jetcat - It is the same thing as used for sleep apnoea, apparently. What is it like and how can you sleep in it? DD2 is 7, low muscle tone so not breathing well.

jetcat32 Tue 02-Jun-09 19:13:50

ok, it is a small machine, about the size of a flat vanity case (if that makes sense). the tubing is quite long, and can get tangled up if i am not careful, but i am so used to it now that even in my sleep i unwrap myself from it!

Most newer machines come with an inbuilt humidifier (and i would def check if your DD's is) as that stops the dry throat that some CPAP machines can cause.

The machine is callibrated to your own pressure needs, and mine has timer buttons on the top, 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins and 20 mins, as well as a 'on' switch. What this means is that instead of going to full pressure straight away, which can kind of take your breath away as you struggle to get used to it (which can be quite frightening for little ones - my DD1 used to love having a go on it!), you can set it so that it will gradually increase up to full pressure.

Once i got used to it (2-3 weeks) i found it quite easy to sleep with it - and i am a very restless sleeper! The trick is to make sure that head straps are adjusted properly, which ensures that the mask part doesnt move, which can lead to offshoots of air under the eyes, which is annoying! Oh, and my mask (but it is quite an older style so newer ones might not have this) has a big air escape from the bottom of the mast (intentional), and when DD2 is in bed with me, i have to be careful with her, as it can be like lying right next to a huge draft lol!

it can be tricky to get right, but once it is, it is well worth the effort, and hopefully your DD2 will feel the benefits!

Oh, and i have travelled abroad with it, needed a letter from the consultant, and had to take it on as hand luggage. Nights in hospital etc are fine as well, though some are more accomodatiing than others - some insist on it being checked out by their electricians etc.

I hope i didnt waffle on too much, and was of some use!

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 20:59:24

Sounds interesting and scary! Lets hope we don't have to do this Cpap thing, I don't think dd would cope - she has learning difficulties and bedtime can be bad anyway - we wait till she's asleep to connect her feed pump.

Thanks for your info, it was very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now