Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Support type thread for parents with children with speech and language delay

(65 Posts)
JustcallmeDog Fri 29-May-09 20:09:55

Message withdrawn

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 29-May-09 20:12:33

Yup. Mine didn't talk until 5 & 6, and with ds2 it's really mainly echolalia.

Don't know how much use I can be in the advice department, because it's just normal to me. In fact, I think nt kids talk funny! grin

JustcallmeDog Fri 29-May-09 20:14:22

Message withdrawn

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 29-May-09 20:18:40

It's when they repeat things. Normally over and over and over!

There's immediate echolalia when they say it straight back and delayed echolalia where they just say things over and over at a later time!

Like ds2 who always has SOMETHING - at one time it was "Clifford the big red dog and tasty food, now at mcdonalds" then it was "That's Asda price" (and then I had to slap my bum!) then "2" just that, "2" over and over again! And cough cough, and various other 'tics'. ds1's most memorable was "BEEEEEEEE-ba-ba-ba" - which was the Windows shut down sound!

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 29-May-09 20:19:47

I think I missed a "ba" off the end of that grin

lou031205 Fri 29-May-09 20:20:30

I'm here. DD1 has a congenital brain malformation & is delayed in several areas.

Her vocab & sentence length is increasing, but she is hard to understand, & she does not understand as much as it seems. I think that some of her speech is echolalia (repeating without understanding; not necessarily straight after hearing.) We get a lot of "what??!!" from her.

How would you say your DS's understanding is?

tclanger Fri 29-May-09 20:21:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JustcallmeDog Fri 29-May-09 20:22:51

Message withdrawn

Phoenix4725 Fri 29-May-09 20:24:20

i has ds who suffers with severe apraxia is totally non verbal and delayed receptive around 18 -2 years ds is 3.11

JustcallmeDog Fri 29-May-09 20:26:51

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Fri 29-May-09 20:29:49

I have dd1 - 4.8, and ASD. she has a severe language delay, and also uses a lot of echolalia.

dd1's tends to be "real" language, mostly used approtpriately, but also used out of context a lot, especially if she si stressed.

So tonight, as she went to bed (bedtime is an issue at the moment, not sure why, but she spends 30 mins screaming for dh after she goes to bed - dh is never here for bedtime, so no idea why she thinks this will work hmm), as I was saying goodnight and preparig to leave, she was getting wound up, and was saying anyhitng that came in to her head "that's dd2's teddy bear" (wasn't in the room) "leave the soap now" (told her off for playing with the soap afte going to the toilet earlier) "tomorrow go to the shops", "just stop it" - all came out i na jumble, none of it relevant.

JustcallmeDog Fri 29-May-09 20:52:27

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Fri 29-May-09 20:57:23

Sorry, Autism Spectrum Disorder.

dd1 didn't speak until she was past 2 (well, she did, but it was all one syllable grunts grin)

then she could fill in th eodd word in songs/nursery rhymes/stories, and then a bit more and a bit more, until she was reciting the whole thing/singing the whole song.

However, she couldn't name items, or answer questions, and other than songs or stories (well known, often read books) she would only speak at a one word level.

she has now expanded a lot, and can label well, and can point out items requested, and will often expand phrases (I ask her to show me a ball, she will point ot it and say "there's the blue ball")

lou031205 Fri 29-May-09 21:31:01

How do you get it across to SALT that the echolalia is present when it seems at first glance to be in context? I tried to explain that it was carbon copy phrasing, but she said "it's in context". But it is in the context that DD first heard it - it doesn't translate to other contexts.

mummysaurus Fri 29-May-09 21:48:13

Hi Justcmd and other mums

My ds is 3.5 and his speech is delayed. He didn't put words together until he was 30 months. Now he has a large vocab and a number of fairly clear stock phrases. But he is hard to understand (even i struggle) and while he can make simple sentences they're imperfect - he misses off pronouns for example.

We are just starting the process of getting him assessed and the paed thinks he has global developmental delay.

Just heard today that he will have his first SALT assessment on 23rd June so hopefully will get some ideas on how to help him.

You shouldn't feel it is your fault but I do know what you mean about not wanting to discuss in real life - sometimes people's suggestions and advice seem to imply you've neglected to do something obvious.

JustcallmeDog Fri 29-May-09 22:33:41

Message withdrawn

tclanger Fri 29-May-09 23:14:09

tclanger Fri 29-May-09 23:18:44

mysonben Fri 29-May-09 23:30:29

Hi, i have ds (3 and 1/2 y.old) , with speech delay and suspected ASD . When he was 2 he only spoke about 10 words ( very hard to understand) and talked 'gibberish' most of the time. At age 3 he had progressesd to about 50 words and could put 2 to 3 words together, also echolalia started. Now he talks a lot more words (still a bit hard to understand sometimes0 ,can string 3-4 words together, but has still lots of echolalia and gibberish.
I wrote all this to show you the massive progress he has done so far, and to give you hope and courage for the future. It is hard work but your ds will get there with your love and support. smile

Shells Fri 29-May-09 23:49:54

Hi Justcallmedog. My DS2 has a speech disorder. He was non verbal at 2.5 and is now 5 and about to start school. He's pretty coherent these days but still with a significant delay and all sorts of associated behavioural issues.

I know what you mean about not talking in RL. I get very fed up with the well-meaning, totally ignorant comments I get from people.

Even yesterday I explained to a parent at school that he had some SN and they said 'he looks fine to me'. WTF! I must be mistaken then....

There is a lot of experience on this board. Hope you get the support you need.

Phoenix4725 Sat 30-May-09 03:34:12

yep we was told sli but they just changed it recently , to apracia were now looking at using communication aids , though he does use makton but has his sings not always clear as has gross/fine motor control issues .

JustcallmeDog Sat 30-May-09 08:46:31

Message withdrawn

JustcallmeDog Sat 30-May-09 08:49:18

Message withdrawn

Phoenix4725 Sat 30-May-09 08:52:39

he will use makton which he uses at playschool and were now looking at using communication aids which will give him a voice in truth be told ds is likely not to speak in words he is due to start school this year

justcallmedog

does your ds use makton or pecs at all?they can be used to help support his spoken laungage.Have you looked at preschools might be worth looking and talking to sencos there

depending on how he progresses you might need to consider a statement so gettng him some extra help at school

JustcallmeDog Sat 30-May-09 08:57:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now