Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Poor dd thought she was going to die

(12 Posts)
monica2 Thu 05-May-05 22:19:07

DD had a fire drill at school today, she was warned it was a practise because she has had problems with this in the past - loud noise/routine change etc. but unfortunately they all got outside and in the excitement of missing class some other children started joking around shouting "Oh no, we're too young to die!" and "you've got smoke coming out of your ears"

Poor dd took this literally and was terrified. She was like a scared rabbit by the time I got to collect her.

We have done loads of social stories on fires etc and "sometimes children say things that aren't true". I have just checked in on her and she looks so peaceful now (thanks to double dose of melatonin) but it has made me realise that accepting your childs difficulties is also accepting that she will have to live through some horrible experiences that I have little control over.

heartinthecountry Thu 05-May-05 22:31:09

your poor dd

The desire to wrap them up in cotton wool is very strong sometimes.....

Blossomhill Thu 05-May-05 22:40:14

Ah Monica Poor little love.

I will have to think of things like this with my dd as she would be the same.

I agree with HITC. As dh says you have to take off that cotton wool vest sometime Men, eh!

jmb1964 Thu 05-May-05 23:03:15

Poor little girl - makes you realise how difficult life can be. Reminds me of our ds1 who swallowed a coin when he was about 3. He didn't inhale it, just swallowed it, no breathing problems or anything, but he screamed and screamed and screamed for hours, convinced he was going to die. All my fault because I used to say he shouldn't put things in his mouth all the time in case he choked and died... If only I had known then what I know now!

pixiefish Thu 05-May-05 23:08:15

poor little dot monica

RnB Thu 05-May-05 23:45:10

Message withdrawn

Thomcat Fri 06-May-05 00:18:15

Oh bless her cotton socks, ohhhh

KarenThirl Fri 06-May-05 06:56:30

Poor love. I she over it now? And you too, of course.

anniebear Fri 06-May-05 07:37:53

Arrrrr, poor little thing, hope she is ok now
xxxx

JakB Fri 06-May-05 07:42:20

Bless your DD. Hope she is calmer today Monica2

InternationalGirl Fri 06-May-05 19:20:41

Aw - poor DD. I hadn't even thought about what my DD would think about fire drills - something else to consider

Hope you all feel better tomorrow.

monica2 Fri 06-May-05 22:41:47

Thanks so much for your kind support, my brave little dd went to school but still a bit "in her own world" IYKWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now