Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How many people would be interested in a UK Floortime conference?

(53 Posts)
sphil Wed 20-May-09 19:45:56

I've started a new thread on this in case people aren't following the old Floortime one.

I've been wondering for some time (with MrsT) whether we should try to organise some sort of UK based Floortime conference/workshop, since quite a number of us seem to be using it or interested in doing so. The idea would be that we wouldn't have to pay as much as if we each got a private consultant in - and we could swop ideas, which would be great as well.

I have to say that I've no experience of doing this - but know people who have, who I could go to for advice. And MrsT is very well-connected! (Sorry MrsT for taking your name in vain here...)

So far on the other thread the following people have expressed an interest:
me
MrsT
Silverfrog
SC13

Anyone else?

nikos Wed 20-May-09 20:02:36

I would be very interested and even more so in getting Greenspan over to do some consultations (think there's any chance?)

sphil Wed 20-May-09 20:10:50

MrsT thinks he's too old - and he does seem to have aged a lot this year I think. No idea if he ever travels outside the US - but could find out. And he's got a son who works in the same field...

nikos Wed 20-May-09 20:56:29

Yes, I think anyone who is part of his team would probably have the same philosophy of looking at the whole child. I've just got his Special Needs Child book (already have the autism one) and it is so perceptive and holistic.

sphil Wed 20-May-09 22:53:42

Have you seen this site? Think MrsT linked to it a while back, but can't remember if it was on here or to me in an email. Really good ideas for games, combining speech therapy, Floortime and RDI approaches.

sphil Wed 20-May-09 22:55:11

Try again autismgames.googlepages.com

drowninginlaundry Thu 21-May-09 09:39:44

yes please!

magso Thu 21-May-09 10:02:47

I would be interested too although Ds is 9 and functions more as a child with M/SLD than ASD.

saintlydamemrsturnip Thu 21-May-09 10:08:17

Nice thing about Floortime is that it's equally applicable to LD's than ASD's.

magso Thu 21-May-09 10:14:02

Yes I have found that but am struggling to move on now -I guess to the next stage!

sphil Thu 21-May-09 10:59:12

Yes, I think moving on is hard - we're well away with all the social reciprocity stuff - but it's moving from that stage to more extended and imaginative play that's proving hard for us.

magso Thu 21-May-09 15:09:44

Yes I think that is where I am stuck too - I do not know how to fit in anymore. A lot of ds world is at school now and some of his play repeats scenes from things I have not witnessed so it is harder to use it!

Marne Thu 21-May-09 18:43:41

Yes please.

FioFio Thu 21-May-09 18:48:35

Message withdrawn

saintlydamemrsturnip Thu 21-May-09 20:04:18

Yep it could help you and dd Fio, and getting pissed sounds a great idea.

lou031205 Thu 21-May-09 20:25:24

Can you give a nutshell guide, and I can work out if it would help us?

sphil Thu 21-May-09 23:01:22

Will do, but tomorrow - brain too fuzzy tonight after many glasses of wine at school open air concert...

Phoenix4725 Fri 22-May-09 05:33:42

im intrested in this but its s the ld that really affect ds not the asd traits .Wonder if it would workfor him?

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 22-May-09 07:20:29

Greenspan has worked a lot with ld's. I've noticed that ds1 (sld's) learns things taught in a floortime fashion much faster than via dtt. You just can't teach everything in a floortime fashion

Phoenix4725 Fri 22-May-09 08:22:49

s there good site where can google floortime see if might work for ds .Thank you

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 22-May-09 08:49:33

scroll down this page and you'll see the PLAY project and Floortime depository. If you click on 'store' there are some Floortime resources too.

Also there's ICDL who are the body who sort of run Floortime and Stanley Greenspan's site

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 22-May-09 08:51:41

In the Basic Floortime online course Greenspan shows a really lovely video of a session with a girl with learning disabilties rather than autism.

lingle Fri 22-May-09 09:02:00

Nikos I have got the Special Needs book delivered too and I think I have finally found my guru.......

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 22-May-09 09:57:27

ha ha, yes I thought you would like Stan the Man lingle. He really does emphasise the individual differences, taking a functional approach and working at 'best' and 'worst' levels. The theory really fits in with my research too.

Even if you use other methods as well, I think taking a Floortime approach to assessing the child is really sensible.

catski Mon 25-May-09 12:57:29

I'd be interested in a uk conference too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now