Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fio How did it go?

(22 Posts)
maddiemo Tue 03-May-05 18:12:49

I think it was annual review today. Did it go ok?

Fio2 Tue 03-May-05 20:31:31

oh god yes and no will bore you all tommorrow

my angel has turned into a complete drama queen at school basically

Blossomhill Tue 03-May-05 20:41:56

Sounds like my dd fio

Look forward to hearing all about it!

Davros Wed 04-May-05 08:34:54

Yes, have been waiting to hear all about it Fio. Hope it went well and revlieves a little of the stress you've been under.

coppertop Wed 04-May-05 09:13:18

I hope it all went well for you and your little drama queen.

Fio2 Wed 04-May-05 09:47:29

she is pushing, pinching, scratching and basically not tolerating other children. She is refusing to eat anything at school apart from puddings......she is still very defensive about new things and new situations. Refuses to use pecs and tries and succeeds in wrecking the cards even when DOUBLE laminated

postives are, her SALT is excited as her language and speech are improving quicker than they anticipated. Makaton signing is great. She plays lotto, counts to ten, has started to run, knows her name from a board with all the class names on, has sarted to run, quite alot of positives really, cant remember them all.

She is not going to stay another year in reception as anticipated and will go up to year 1 in september, i guess the teacher has had enough of her

So now we have to concentrate on doing some visual timetables, re-enforcing PECs and i have been booked into a makaton workshop.

Good thing is she will not be going to mainstream as she is a complete nutter

Fio2 Wed 04-May-05 09:49:04

hehe I said has started to run twice, must be important!

Merlot Wed 04-May-05 09:53:50

Oh Wow - started to run, that's great news

Have you done any Makaton Fio? I've just done the beginners course and the hardest thing I'm finding is to remember to do it!

heartinthecountry Wed 04-May-05 09:55:28

Ahh Fio - glad there was lots of positive stuff and great that they feel she is ready to go up to yr 1.

LOL at complete nutter dh often says this about dd (in the nicest possible way!). Did they give any indication of how they were handling the difficult behaviour?

heartinthecountry Wed 04-May-05 09:56:57

Merlot - the more you do makaton the more it becomes second nature. I now find I have to stop myself doing it with every small child I come across!

Fio2 Wed 04-May-05 09:59:56

They are just doing the usual with the behaviour. Distraction techniques and encouragement when she is being good. They do some kind of therapy based thing with her aswell to encourage her to tolerate other kids, like turn taking exercises and things. Honestly alot of it has gone over my head. She gets SALT, OT, Physio, Art therapy, music therapy, MOVE, hydrotherapy, horseriding, and loads of other things I have never heard of makes me feel a bit inadequate really

They think alot of her behaviour is that she is developing her own personality and wants to do what she wants and she knows she has a choice.......

Fio2 Wed 04-May-05 10:01:03

Merlot, yes sorry i forgot your question. We have been doing makaton for a while but we only know the basic stuff and apparently dd is signing colours and alphabet and more complex things I dont have a clue about !

suzywong Wed 04-May-05 10:02:09

yes, but has she started to run yet?

Fio2 Wed 04-May-05 10:06:11

suze

maddiemo Wed 04-May-05 10:06:34

She sounds like a busy litle girl

Perhaps Makaton is more her thing than PECS. My ds really picked up signing and I did several signing courses.

Hope the school manage to get the pinchy phase under control. Is it always because she won't tolerate other children or is it also a way of getting their attention?

Sounds like she is making good progress.

Dingle Wed 04-May-05 10:07:51

Fio, perhaps a crash course of watching "Something Special" would help!

Great to hear all the positives!

DH and me were talking about spending a day down at the coast soon, we discussed Hastings, but perhaps is we came nearer to you, we could meet up for a while! Let me know what you think!

Fio2 Wed 04-May-05 10:16:01

I dont know maddiemo. She pinches me for attention I know that, but at school she is pushing kids when they go near her to play with her. She doesnt want any other child to go in the home corner whilst she is there as it is HERS Oh its not funny really. I am hoping it is just a phase, but she is turning into a little devil. At home over the last few weeks, or even months her behaviour has got quite bad really, even my dh noticed!!!which is saying something.

Dingle that would be lovely, when were you thinking of coming? They watch something special at school apparently and she is transfixed by it.

Dingle Wed 04-May-05 10:22:09

Will have a word with hubbie, but probably a Sunday, as DS has swimming on Saturdays. We might even try this Sunday or next, depending on the weather forcast! Just feel we need a bit of a "get away from it all" sort of time, and spend some fun time with the kiddies.

maddiemo Wed 04-May-05 10:27:19

It sounds a bit like she is going through the 'terrible twos' phase. I hope you don't take that in a bad way. It is a good sign as it does show good awareness.

My ds has always been very passive but the ed psych said to me 'He could really change as he grows and perhaps hit the terrible twos at twelve'

Dingle Wed 04-May-05 10:33:27

lol, I know exactly what you mean! DD's behaviour has been terrible recently! She pushes and kicks at DS, who in turn gives as good as he gets! Trying to explain to him how I want him to deal with it, must be very difficult for a 5 yr old to understand!

Walking to school this morning we met up with one of her little friends from nursery, dd wanted to hold hands, like she always does. Until her friends brother came along and she just pushed the little girl to one side and held her brothers hand! (such a little fluzzie..sp?) I just don't want to see this continue and her end up with no friends at all!

KarenThirl Wed 04-May-05 10:49:24

Sounds like she's doing really well, so many positives. And the negatives can't be that severe or I'd have thought they'd not be so keen to move her up to Y1. Well done to her, I say.

lisalisa Wed 25-May-05 14:57:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now