Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Scopoderm / Hyoscine - to dry up dribble - have you tried it?

(15 Posts)
meltedmarsbars Wed 13-May-09 12:51:24

And how was it?

We have conflicting advice, she needs a quarter to half a patch, but some say cut it others say it will bleed if I cut the patch.

Apparently the side-effects can put some people off.

I'd be interested in your experiences please.

Nat1H Wed 13-May-09 18:42:08

I will be watching this thread with interest as our neuro has suggested this for DS2. I am not sure TBH

meltedmarsbars Wed 13-May-09 21:12:48

Bump for the evening crowd....

meltedmarsbars Wed 13-May-09 21:48:57

Nat it looks like we're the only ones!

What are your concerns?

SJisontheway Wed 13-May-09 22:49:14

Can't really help, but interested too. I actually have the patches, but haven't used any yet as dd's epilepsy playing up. Thought I'd get that under control before starting. Interested to see if others have had good experiences

meltedmarsbars Thu 14-May-09 14:27:16

We have the patches in the cupboard here.

Looks like we might try at the w/end, then we can more easily monitor any side-effects.

Will post then!

meltedmarsbars Fri 22-May-09 13:53:46

Okay, yesterday was a BAAAAD day, sch rang me mid-afternoon, to say dd has seriously choked on her dribble (thats normal) but teachers from another class were there and everyone was panicked, so they asked me to go in and do the pm feed and take her home. So I took her to gp who gave her antibiotics for a slight chest rattle (she's not ill!) and now I put on the Hyoscine this morning.

Half a patch, cut up, behind the ear.

I've warned the school that she might hallucinate, and get the shakes (it contra-indicates with one of her other drugs), but then, she is very wobbly anyway.

So far, they've not called me!!!!!

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 13:52:52

No shakes, no hallucinations, but still plenty of dribble. Tried bigger patch. Still drooling.

Hmmm.

madwomanintheattic Tue 02-Jun-09 14:38:17

yes - it stopped her drooling pretty much but gave her nosebleeds. sigh.

i peeled off the bag, trimmed the placcy, put it back on to blank some of the patch, and applied that way. she also had an allergic reaction to the patch itself (or the placcy lol) and it took over a month for the red marks on her skin to fade.

i occasionally use joyrides now blush

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 14:43:12

Do joyrides work on drool? And my friend wants to know if she can have the leftover hyoscine patches to have a few hallucinations herself...

monstermansmum Tue 02-Jun-09 18:06:15

My Ds gets VERY dopey/confused when using the patches-cant say if hes hallucinating though. They did stop him drooling but I would rather he was a bit sogy than unwell. We stopped using them and now have a cupboard full! Anyone want them? (Do I sound like a drug dealer? blush

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 18:28:43

Dd2 is also non-verbal so can't tell me. Friend who teaches sn said one teenager told her he could see giant red spiders. He kept ducking to avoid them. I think they stopped trying the patches after that.

madwomanintheattic Wed 03-Jun-09 10:47:01

it's the same active ingredient in joyrides -but obviously you don't get the continued effect so would need to take more - i don't think it's recommended as an alternative (you can get syrup etc if the patches cause irritation) but for one-off mornings on particularly slobbery days we use them occasionally... i did know one little boy whose px was for joyrides (for drool), but can't remember why that was the med of choice...
but then we've got months and months worth of patches in the cupboard too - i really should check the 'use by' date...

meltedmarsbars Wed 03-Jun-09 14:14:08

Maybe we'll just put up with the drool...

delllie Sat 06-Jun-09 17:23:16

The patches worked very well for my DD's dribbling, but after a while they really started to irritate her skin. It got to the point where they were leaving a 'burn' like mark which took 2 or 3 weeks to fade so we had to discontinue them.

We then tried the rubinol/glcyopyrlate(sp?) tablets which again worked on drying the dribble but they sent her into hypersensitivity overdrive!!

So we are back to soggy bibs grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now