Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Social Stories....Help needed!!!

(4 Posts)
Jayzmummy Tue 03-May-05 11:36:32

At our last SALT meeting last week J was assessed and I can report back that he has come on in leaps and bounds....given that 12 months ago he was assessed and the report was very grave to read, the new report states taht he now more age appropriate with his expressive language, when he chooses to communicate....so obviously the 1:1 he is getting at home is working and I cant be making too many mistakes!!!!

I asked SALT for any advice and help with Social Stories and sadly she told me that she is not allowed to use social stories because she has not been trained to do so!!!!! Apparently the SALTs have to go on a training course and noone in the area has been permitted to attend such a course due to....wit for it....LACK OF FUNDING!!!!!

So ladies, can you tell me which books you have found useful....I really want to work on J's social skills over the next few weeks.

I am trying my best with the limited info Ive been able to google.....but would be appreciative of any additional info you may have.

Thanks.
JM.

Blossomhill Tue 03-May-05 12:04:41

this post is quite useful

monica2 Tue 03-May-05 12:17:48

The Carol Gray website is fantastic www.thegraycenter.org/
It is full of examples of s.stories, how to write your own and you can register with the Social stories quarterly The First Issue: all about me I am unique contains s.stories for older children including an intro into his/her diagnosis.

I have The New Social Story Book (Carol Gray) and Comic Strip conversations, however they are both too young now for dd 9.

Is there an autistic outreach service in your area?, mine has loads of resources and have been in to dd's school to train the LSA on how to write relevant s.stories for dd to use at school and home - these are the ones we have had most success with. Good luck

Jayzmummy Tue 03-May-05 12:51:07

Thanks Bloss for the link....I tried looking back....but didnt go back far enough by just a few days!!!!

Good point about contacting the out reach worker....have had a chat with J's home tutor today and she is going to see what she can do for us her end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now