Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone help me navigate a sea of statmenting and admissions confusion?

(9 Posts)
bossykate Mon 02-May-05 20:15:47

please have a look at this thread which blu started in the education section

batters Mon 02-May-05 20:30:54

bump

batters Tue 03-May-05 09:27:33

bump

Davros Tue 03-May-05 10:01:50

I looked at the thread in Education and think there's LOADS of good advice there so I didn't post, everything had been said. You might get a couple more responses here from people who've been incommunicado over the bank hol.

Blu Tue 03-May-05 10:56:39

Thank you all, you are all starts...I feel i am getting the inpormation to make headway!

(and have calmed down a bit...phew....thank you for bearing with me)

maddiemo Tue 03-May-05 16:20:42

No other info to add other than you do have to be politely pushy and make sure the LEA know who you are.

MotherEve Tue 10-May-05 22:52:25

This is information from the School Admissions Code of Practice - can be downloaded from here

Pupils with special educational needs but without statements
7.19 Children with special educational needs but without statements must be treated as fairly as other applicants. Admission authorities may not refuse to admit a pupil because they consider themselves unable to cater for his or her special educational needs. Admission authorities must consider applications from children who have special educational needs but no statement, on the basis of the school’s published admission criteria. They cannot refuse to admit a pupil on the grounds that he or she does not have a statement of special educational needs, or is currently being assessed for one. Where admission authorities give some priority tochildren with special educational needs but without a statement, their published admission arrangements should explain what evidence of special needs is required to qualify under the criterion.

Pupils with statements of special educational needs
7.20 Children with statements of special educational needs that name a school inthe statement are required to be admitted to the school that is named. The governing body (even where it is the admission authority) does not have the right torefuse admission. It is good practice for LEAs to mention this in their composite prospectuses, so that parents of other children are aware.

Pupils with disabilities
7.21Children with disabilities must be treated no less favourably than other applicants for admission. Schools are under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that pupils with disabilities are not placed at a substantial disadvantage, although this does not apply to the provision of auxiliary aids and services or to physical adaptations to buildings. A pupil has a disability if he or she has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. This would include those with physical disabilities and those with sensory impairments (such asthose affecting sight or hearing), and learning disabilities. The Disability Rights Commission Code of Practice provides practical guidance on the new duties owed to disabled pupils. All LEAs and schools have been sent a copy and it can also be accessed on the Commission’s website at www.drc.org

Don't know whether that helps or not - but it is useful info to have at your disposal - all the best.

Blu Wed 11-May-05 23:07:54

Thank you very much, everyone. I have been pursuing all the help I have been given here, and written an appeal based on it all. Our Surestart person says it is 'excellent' - so I am v hopeful.
Now we just have to wait.

Davros Thu 12-May-05 09:21:11

Good luck Blu!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now