Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Own up! Which Widgit/PECS symbols would you REALLY like?

(9 Posts)
coppertop Sun 01-May-05 14:24:03

We've just started using visual timetables with ds2 and are making a list of the symbols we need. I was also thinking about the symbols that probably don't exist but that I would really like to use.

- A "Please stop that bl**dy screeching for 5 minutes!" symbol: a picture of ds2 with masking tape over his mouth.

- A "Don't throw that stinky nappy at me" symbol: a picture of a flying poo perhaps?

- A "Please don't stab your father in the leg again" symbol: dh with a bandage?

- A "Leave those batteries in the remote control for once in your life!" symbol - hmmm...probably flying pigs circling a Duracell battery?

Anyone else want to confess?

RnB Sun 01-May-05 14:59:12

Message withdrawn

KarenThirl Sun 01-May-05 16:34:10

I could have done with "Please don't smash my favourite antique flower bowl over your father's head - oh, too late" on Tuesday, but I guess I won't be needing that one any more...

How about "Please get off the roof of your garden playhouse", which could be paired with "Please don't squirt your super-strength water pistol at the neighbour's washing".

Happy days, now that summer is here!

pixel Sun 01-May-05 17:55:22

"please leave the cushions on the settee and the videos in the cupboard for more than 5 minutes, just for once I would like to walk across the room without tripping over something"

Or is that a bit long?

coppertop Sun 01-May-05 18:21:10

A picture of an extra-large bottle of wine meaning:

"You've already driven me to drink. Now PLEASE go and annoy your father while I drink the whole bottle while hiding in a cupboard somewhere."

TheRealMrsF Sun 01-May-05 22:17:25

lovely thread!

Agree about batteries...

and ref Alex....whom i've discoverd
ill
LEAVE THINGs ALONE .....as long as i specifically tell him to .... item by item......he seems unable to 'generalise' that every shampoo/scissors/selotape/seeds/printer paper/flower etc should be only used/picked/scribbled on (in any order!!!!)....when he asks first (and is supervised)

*so PECS please for every individual item...in the whole wide world please!!!!*

But seriously...this has been an amazing breakthrough for me...as i really was at the end of my tether...then thinking in the ASD way about 'them' being unable to generalise/transfer from one situation to another...i began tio very specifically tell him what he can and cannot touch....it means alao that i have to involve him alot in what i am doing because then he can do the things he wants to do with my supervision.

i realised a few weeks back that diagnosis or no diagnosis..he was going to need supervision...so to keep trying to 'get on an do things' was not going to work...better that i get less done ... with him thatn achieve a goal...only to discover the chaos he had reaked whilst my backs turned.

TheRealMrsF Sun 01-May-05 22:18:19

ill LEAVE THINGs ALONE ?????
Meant to say will!!!!!!!

coppertop Mon 02-May-05 10:57:46

I'll definitely take one of those "LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!!" pictures. After this morning I would also like to add a "Get down off that top shelf before you break your neck!!"

Do all 2yr-olds know how to get up to a shelf 5ft+ off the ground???

Christie Mon 02-May-05 16:35:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now