Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does anyone want to do a SN "book club" with me starting with Greenspan's "The Child with Special Needs?

(58 Posts)
lingle Tue 28-Apr-09 09:45:50

Nikos linked to a great article by Greenspan in this thread of 21st April

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs/742398-Interesting-article-re-differentiating-asd-from-other-diso rders

Quite a few of us responded to the unusually positive and optimistic approach and to the idea of focussing on your child's unique profile, including his/her strengths as well as weaknesses. I think this positive approach has the potential to "reach" the "sceptical dads" as well (DH just called me with a very enthusiastic response).

I'm ordering Greenspan's book "The Child with Special Needs: Encouraging Intellectual and Emotional Growth" which seems to expand the ideas set out in the article.

Would anyone care to join me and have a more focussed discussion on the book together in, say, a few weeks? (allowing a bit of time for anyone ordering from the library)?

silverfrog Tue 28-Apr-09 10:00:10

I owuld possibly be interested in this.

I did Greenspan's online course last year, and found it very helpful - I do like his way of thinking.

<whispers - it is a big book? only I do tend to get a bit bored lost when tackling longer "help your child" books. I shouldn't, but I do blush>

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 28-Apr-09 10:26:08

greenspan is repeating the online course at the moment. I signed up for the 'meltdowns' workshop.

TotalChaos Tue 28-Apr-09 10:26:53

If I can get hold of it from the library I'ld be in.

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 28-Apr-09 10:29:09

Can I browse it? I would read it but I am half way through his Engaging Autism, and then I want to read the first idea (Greenspan and Shanker). I really like Floortime so would be interested in taking part in a discussion anyway. I recently had a very interesting email discussion with Stuart Shanker who works very closely with Greenspan (runs the research side of things). I'd really recommend his paper on 'the roots of mindblindness'.

silverfrog Tue 28-Apr-09 10:30:32

I know, MrsT. I was sorely tempted, but have just had quite a few dd1 related purchases (all in the interests of having fun, incidentally) so am hoping that incresed fun = less meltdowns in the first place smile <head in sand>

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 28-Apr-09 10:32:34

You're probably right. I am doing it in part because I have to do a certain amount of extra training a year so I figure it may as well be in something useful. I'd be very interested in doing more Floortime training in the future so it's worth it for other reasons as well iyswim.

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 28-Apr-09 10:32:35

You're probably right. I am doing it in part because I have to do a certain amount of extra training a year so I figure it may as well be in something useful. I'd be very interested in doing more Floortime training in the future so it's worth it for other reasons as well iyswim.

silverfrog Tue 28-Apr-09 10:38:17

yep, in your position I'd do it too.

in an ideal world I'd've done it, but just knew that atm I wouldn't give it the attention it needs (even with the ability to watch at your own pace) so not worth signing up to this year. (am still trying to get dh to watch last years lot, as think it would help him enormously, and he was v interested in the bits he did watch - again, time is the bugger)

lingle Tue 28-Apr-09 10:44:14

<whispers - it is a big book? only I do tend to get a bit bored lost when tackling longer "help your child" books. I shouldn't, but I do >

silverfrog, I hear you. It looked much more "read in bed after getting the kids to bed before dropping off"-friendly than the engaging autism one.

notfromaroundhere Tue 28-Apr-09 22:27:13

I'd like to join in too, if I may. I've ordered a copy from Amazon which is currently giving a delivery estimate of 12-20th May.

tclanger Tue 28-Apr-09 22:32:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sphil Tue 28-Apr-09 23:17:51

I'd like to join in please - I read it a long time ago though, so may be a bit waffly.
I love old Stan!grin

Phoenix4725 Wed 29-Apr-09 07:42:38

will see if can get from library and join in I i may

lingle Wed 29-Apr-09 09:17:34

Ooh super. Shall I gather us all up at, say, the beginning of June - after half-term week.

LOL at tclanger's prolific book buying - I'll email you tclanger when I've finished it and perhaps we'll do a book swap.

Are we all ASD/language people here? Might be nice to get other DX perspectives too.

cyberseraphim Wed 29-Apr-09 09:47:19

You can get the edited highlights/updates of Unstrange Miinds on his web site at

www.unstrange.com/

I feel a bit daunted by the Greenspan read although from what I understand, it's similar to the play therapy we do at the hospital.

TurtleTuck Wed 29-Apr-09 17:17:34

I'd like to join in too, if I may. I've just ordered a copy from amazon

lingle Wed 29-Apr-09 19:33:36

cool smile

tclanger Wed 29-Apr-09 19:56:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meggymoosmum Wed 29-Apr-09 20:03:53

Is it really awful that i don't know who Greenspan is? sad

sphil Wed 29-Apr-09 20:52:17

Not at all! He's not very well known in this country - based in US. I only learnt about him because I read his book 'The Special Needs Child' before DS2 was diagnosed and found it very helpful and reassuring - it showed me there WAS something I could do to help him interact. At the time I didn't want to read books on autism because I felt that it was pre-empting the diagnosis - and admitting to myself he was blush

lingle Thu 30-Apr-09 09:02:14

meggy, have a look at Nikos's thread linked to in my OP - this takes you to an article fo his.

BriocheDoree Thu 30-Apr-09 09:26:58

Half way through the online course at the moment and really enjoying it. Actually reassures me that some of the possibly more way out stuff we are doing with DD (like the play therapy/psychotherapy) is actually the right thing to do, rather than the behavioural approach which I never felt was right for her (not that I'm dissing it for one MOMENT because I know kids it has made a HUGE difference to).
In fact, need to thank Mrs Turnip for alerting me to the whole Stanley Greenspan thing!
So, will join you in reading the book, but not until I've read/learned/inwardly digested the course!!

saintlydamemrsturnip Thu 30-Apr-09 22:36:43

The course is great. I like behavioural stuff too- done in a floortime way ONe thing like about Stan the Man is that he isn't averse to using a bit of behavioural stuff when he needs to. For example he mentions using it to teach imitation, and indeed we had to.

Greenspan is great for all kids - ASD or NT or somewhere inbetween. I bought the challenging child specifically for NT ds3

Shells Fri 01-May-09 04:49:04

I might lurk if thats ok. don't think I've got the cash to get the book - although will try the library (not holding out hopes). Would be really interested to hear what you've all got to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now