Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Am I wrong?????

(17 Posts)
Jayzmummy Wed 20-Apr-05 22:47:52

to feel so angry????

Ive just been told that Katie Price aka Jordan has announced today that Harvey her little boy is Autistic...and the way she found out was when she watched "Rainman" she realised Harvey was Autistic.....Oh Purleeeeeaaaasssseee!!!!

Blood is bubbling.

Merlot Wed 20-Apr-05 22:50:17

What?

Socci Wed 20-Apr-05 22:58:26

Message withdrawn

TheRealMrsF Wed 20-Apr-05 22:59:07

yes he's blind.

sparklymieow Wed 20-Apr-05 22:59:26

He could be... he does have lots of other problems...

Davros Wed 20-Apr-05 23:00:17

He's got some vision problem, maybe learning disability has brought up the ASD idea. I've never seen RainMan, and don't intend to now I know what I know!
Does that mean that Little Harvey is rattling off dates and numbers and fully verbal?

aloha Wed 20-Apr-05 23:00:18

I have to say I read the feature in OK and it didn't sound anything like that. Her son has really complex and, frankly, rather overwhelming-sounding special needs and she was being frank about how hard it is. I actually -shock! - felt really sympathetic towards her. His blindness honestly seems the least of his problems. Very sad.

sparklymieow Wed 20-Apr-05 23:03:16

I read in an article today that he has to take meds. three times a day, and that he could die, if not managed correctly...

Merlot Wed 20-Apr-05 23:25:14

Mmmm....poor little chap

I guess the thing is that some syndromes do have symptoms which can show up as Autistic type behaviour. I know that is the case for both of the syndromes which my ds is being tested for.

Also the press might not `get' such subtleties

TheRealMrsF Wed 20-Apr-05 23:31:38

also like the rest of us 'in the early stages' ...we hear or read or watch something which is 'just like our child' and we often 'see' what we want to see....not out of ignorance...but because we are so relieved that 'we are not alone'

anniebear Thu 21-Apr-05 07:59:41

read the article, she did actually say that he MAY be Autistic. She said he is often in his own world, doesnt show her any love and likes to line things ups.

Think he is having some tests.

Doesn't talk but can walk now

He has a huge number of problems.

Jayzmummy Thu 21-Apr-05 09:10:26

I understand that Harvey has many problems and I havr nothing against Katie Price at all, infact i think she is a very shrewd buisness woman.

What makes me cross though is the fact that she is reported as saying that she watched Rainman and then thought her son was Autistic.

I know that when ever anyone asks me about J I always get the "Oh like Rainman" quote and I struggle then to convince people that ASD is not just about savant behaviour and when I heard that Katie Price had said this I just thought "Oh jessse.....not again".

I didnt want anyone here to think I was being vindictive about "Jordan" I am not and I sympathise with her emmensly....its the ignorance of others that gets to me.....sometimes I feel my quest for awareness of ASD is almost a loosing battle.

sparklymieow Thu 21-Apr-05 09:23:25

maybe she had a feeling about Harvey and when she watched Rainman, it all felt into place. I know when DS was being investigated by the hospital, I knew there was problem, but didn't know what, till I saw my cousin running alongside him and I realised that he had Cerebral Palsy like my cousin. It was like a penny dropped.

sylvm Thu 21-Apr-05 09:29:52

Don't forget that the media, especially in these sorts of magazines, frequently misquote things and get their facts wrong. I have read things in my local paper where I know the story or the people in it facts are wrongly reported.

MandM Thu 21-Apr-05 10:51:14

I have to admit I read the headline in one of the papers yesterday and just thought "OMG!" but after reading it properly it does seem as though Harvey has got a whole range of really complicated SNs, that like all of us, she is struggling to come to terms with, but managing somehow. My heart went out to them completely, and although her public persona is brash and hard-faced, I actually have a lot of admiration for the way she has so sucessfuly marketed herself and built a stable future for herself and her family whilst dealing with the trials and tribulations of an SN child. Plus, dont forget, she is pregnant again and about to get married.

TheRealMrsF Thu 21-Apr-05 17:19:37

"if " the story is true...then for her 'maybe' RainMan IS like her son...just as for many of us RainMan IS NOT..... put it this way.....Leigh is nothing like the character Dustin Hoffman played....and i doubt he never will be....BUT..... this morning he told me how many pages are in every single Roald Dahl book they have at school....now he 'may' be wrong...and i'm certainly NOT going to check up....but historicaly....whenever he spouts this kind of stuff...or other 'trivia'....i have found him to be correct!!!

So....my point being...maybe Jordan's son has an amazing memory for facts figures etc...maybe he knows 'All there is to know about thomas the tank'.....maybe like my Alex ...he could say names of cars before he could 'talk'...knowing every badge/logo yet unable to understand facial expressions etc?????

trouble is....we the general public will never know the truth ....i am even suspicious of t.v interviews (unless live) as they can be edited to make people appear to be saying whatever they are required to say.... so for me i hope they do a 'fly on the wall ' with her...as like J'sM said- katie is a clever business woman who knows how to make money...a programme that shows her son harvey....a programme about her concerns and her attempts to get a diagnosis....as she has a better chance of getting noticed than any of us ever will!!!!

Twiglett Thu 21-Apr-05 17:24:15

I think the anger is misplaced and should be directed at the media who make stuff up to make a story easier to grasp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now