Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Would you prefer it if NT mums didn't post here?

(91 Posts)
Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 18:15:34

Would like to know the consensus of opinion in light of some recent threads on this board.

I often have a read through the SN board, because a number of the posters here are people I have grown to respect (or think are just plain funny). I also respond when I think it appropriate.

Am happy to continue doing so, or to bow out and just see you on other threads whatever the majority opinion is. Simple yes or no would be great. (no explanations needed, nor offence taken)

chonky Wed 20-Apr-05 18:22:54

I personally would be really sad if mums of NT kids didn't post here. IMHO, having a child with SN is all about striking a balance, easier said than done sometimes, (like life really ), and it helps to have all POVs. After all, MN is a discussion board.

donnie Wed 20-Apr-05 18:23:03

at the risk of sounding thick, what is NT ? sorry for being dense...

chonky Wed 20-Apr-05 18:23:32

neurotypical

WideWebWitch Wed 20-Apr-05 18:26:13

I'd like to know what people think about this too.

ggglimpopo Wed 20-Apr-05 18:30:54

Message withdrawn

dropinthe Wed 20-Apr-05 18:31:38

Sorry for being thick but was is neurotypical?

LGJ Wed 20-Apr-05 18:32:00

I tend to lurk, and only post if I feel I can help, but the link(short) is a prime example of someone being there at the right time to give someone a boost. Not blowing my own trumpet, just making a point.

So yes I think NT's should stray on to SN

At the end of the day this is a multi faceted forum.

tamum Wed 20-Apr-05 18:32:13

My guess is that there won't be a consensus, unfortunately. I'm another one who barges in, sometimes because it's people I "know and like", sometimes because I can help with genetics (or fondly imagine I can). I truly don't think this is what Davros intended though, and I have a feeling I will continue to barge in if I think it might be remotely helpful and just hope no-one is too bothered by it.

coppertop Wed 20-Apr-05 18:32:38

I can only speak for myself but personally I think it's great when everyone else joins us on the SN threads. I've learned a lot about different kinds of SN since I joined MN. I often post on threads that are about CP, DS, CF etc even though I have no personal experience of them. It would be a sad day if people felt that they could only post on threads that they had personal experience of IMHO.

Apologies for the ramble.

LGJ Wed 20-Apr-05 18:32:46

Whoooooooooooops bum link

chonky Wed 20-Apr-05 18:33:57

neurotypical = developing typically

coppertop Wed 20-Apr-05 18:35:00

I should add that the other thread is too long for my computer to open so I have no idea what's been happening over there.

LGJ Wed 20-Apr-05 18:35:40

Try again

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 18:36:08

I think the definition of SN is easy

it is any condition or disability that has an impact on the parents and leads them to need advice / support and care

personally I feel drawn to the SN board, not because of my kids but because my DH has a chronic condition that has caused me to re-assess ME and my opinions and changed me somewhat in personality, and I think that change in sense of humour and acceptance is something that links a lot of the posters on this board

But think that discussion should be for another thread too

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 18:36:28

I think the definition of SN is easy

it is any condition or disability that has an impact on the parents and leads them to need advice / support and care

personally I feel drawn to the SN board, not because of my kids but because my DH has a chronic condition that has caused me to re-assess ME and my opinions and changed me somewhat in personality, and I think that change in sense of humour and acceptance is something that links a lot of the posters on this board

But think that discussion should be for another thread too

coppertop Wed 20-Apr-05 18:38:27

LGJ - You do realise that you will now forever be associated with lemon sherbert coloured wee!

(referring to the linked thread just in case anyone thinks I've lost it even more than usual )

LGJ Wed 20-Apr-05 18:41:46

redsky Wed 20-Apr-05 18:47:14

to me the whole point of mn is that it is an open forum for people to contribute to as they want to - within boundaries of decency - I hate the idea of NT parents being denied access to SN board etc.

LGJ Wed 20-Apr-05 18:52:47

For Coppertop

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 18:53:38

its not about 'denied access' I think that's overly emotive personally

its about preference

redsky Wed 20-Apr-05 18:55:47

ok twigs - point taken - I'm feeling overly emotive thanks to large glass of red!

coppertop Wed 20-Apr-05 18:56:20

LGJ!

Enid Wed 20-Apr-05 18:58:43

I do add things sometimes, support or a pleased emoticon on threads I have lurked on.

Don't care if people don't like it, I don't intend to stop, its not done with anything but admiration and support most of the time so ner ner ner ner

<<Enid feels super-brave as SN board so hard>>

Socci Wed 20-Apr-05 19:00:29

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now