Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Referal to ed psych...so angry

(8 Posts)
happymerryberries Wed 20-Apr-05 17:03:10

I was having a chat with one of the techers n the school where I work today. A child needs referal to see and ed psych. The waiting time?....18 months!!!!!

God I'm so angry I feel sick.

Education, education, education. Yeh, right! [argry]

maddiemo Wed 20-Apr-05 17:10:52

Disgusting

Fio2 Wed 20-Apr-05 17:11:43

thats awful, 18 months?

happymerryberries Wed 20-Apr-05 17:13:57

The woman who told me was almost spitting tacks! And this is for a child in secondary with fairly major behavioural issues. How the hell can kids like this get an education if they can't get the help? What is the point of having 'School Action plus' if you have to wait 18 months for the plus.

Davros Wed 20-Apr-05 17:14:59

Unbelieveable! No other option I suppose is there? Can the child see a Dev Paed via GP or something, if its not via the school it might not go to EP first iyswim.

happymerryberries Wed 20-Apr-05 17:26:24

That would depend on how keen the parents are for the referal I suppose. The vast majority are, but sadly not all of them. I just can't believe (well I can but yswim) that it can take that long.

Davros Wed 20-Apr-05 17:30:10

When we were first referred (in those days it was direct to a Dev Paed, no multidisciplinary) we had a 10 month waiting list. I kept phoning to ask for a cancellation which was hard work and, in the end, was just luck to get a cancellation. Don't suppose there's any other option. Will they go on the waiting list anyway? I suppose if the school can do whatever is possible in the meantime that is going to help anyway.

happymerryberries Wed 20-Apr-05 17:41:55

They will have to I suppose. the trouble is that the school (which is reasonably good in SN department and used to providing for children with ASD, ADHD, DS and Tourettes) is not coping with this child's needs and wants the referal. We are trying to get the funding for an in house councellor for EBD. What is the point of having and EP appointment in 18 months ffs!?! By that time everything can get so much worse for the child, and to be cynical all of the other children as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now