Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sorry to bother you..

(56 Posts)
Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 13:36:04

but i have a question someone might be able to help me with?

i am suffering at the minute with depression gp has diagnosed it as pnd, but i sometimes think otherwise.

something that has been on my mind recently, is how when i was young, i had to do things a certain number of times(touch wood, turn light on/off)7 normally and would also feel the need to 'take' things with me when we went out for day with school etc ie:toilet roll tube etc...dont laugh, im not making this up, just ive started being a bit like this again now..having to do things a certain number of times and re checking everything.

im sorry if this sounds like total tosh, but just wondered if it is symtomatic of anything any of you know about and could it be linked to my depression

Hausfrau Wed 20-Apr-05 13:37:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WigWamBam Wed 20-Apr-05 13:38:00

It's not total tosh, evesmama, it's OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And yes, it could be linked to depression, as any mental illness probably can.

Thomcat Wed 20-Apr-05 13:38:36

It sounds like you have classic OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
My sister suffers very badly.
There have been a lot of posts on this but I can't remeber in which sections. Try doing a search is archived messages and type in OCD and also Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. There are many mumsnetters with this and you may find some great support.

mummytosteven Wed 20-Apr-05 13:38:42

it sounds a bit OCD ish to me - I think the key question is tho does it bother you doing this sort of thing? a lot of people have OCD type behaviour in small quantities without being OCD - like having to double check they locked the front door, that sort of thing. OCD is Obssessive compulsive disorder, which is an anxiety disorder, and anxiety disorders thrivew on stress, so I think it can be linked a bit with depression.

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 13:39:52

thankyou for replying, felt a bit awkward what with not being a regular on SN.

im on lustral for pnd at moment, would that be enough to treat OCD or would i need to see someone or will it just go away again??

WigWamBam Wed 20-Apr-05 13:41:33

There was a thread a little while ago on OCD in the Health section that Tammylove started, you might find some of the info on there helpful. I'll see if I can find it and link it.

JoolsToo Wed 20-Apr-05 13:42:31

are you back then?

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 13:43:25

who?

Thomcat Wed 20-Apr-05 13:43:35

well don't feel awkward, I'm glad you posted, don't worry about posting anything, anywhere.
If anyone makes your feel otherwise they are in the wrong. I'm sure you'll get the support you need somewhere soon from MN. TC x

WigWamBam Wed 20-Apr-05 13:43:47

Thread

Not really back, Jools, just spotted this while I was lurking to see if Titania was OK after her posts the other day.

mummytosteven Wed 20-Apr-05 13:43:59

SSRIs like Lustral by themselves can treat OCD, (that's what I take Prozac for) but usually you would need a higher dose than you do for treating depression. It is helpful as well if you can get referred for CBT in addition to taking ADs- counselling itself isn't very useful for OCD - might help reduce general anxiety symptoms but not tackle the symptoms head on. Waiting lists for CBT tend to be quite long tho - not easy to get on the NHS. If you have the money, you can arrange to see someone privately.

There are some very good self help books out there as well, with info on CBT that you might find useful. In particular I would recommend the OCD Workbook by Hyman and Pedrick, and anything on OCD by Lee Baer.

mummytosteven Wed 20-Apr-05 13:46:01

WBW - Titania has posted today, bumping one of her threads selling some buggys and other stuff. I have not managed to speak to her at all tho for a couple of days.

WigWamBam Wed 20-Apr-05 13:46:46

Thanks MTS. Tried to catch her on MSN but couldn't.

Sorry for the hijack, Evesmama!

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 13:47:15

thanks WWW
and thanks MTS, im on two tablets a day at the moment?so do you think it should maybe be more?

mummytosteven Wed 20-Apr-05 13:51:34

it varies from individual to individual so you'ld have to discuss it with your doc. i would have look on line at the info on Lustral, and see what dose they recommend for treating OCD rather than depression.

when I was on Lustral, I started off on 50 mg, then went up to 100mg, but the 100 mg was doping me up too much, so went back down to 50mg. I think that 50 mg is 1 tablet of Lustral, and 100 mg is 2 tablets of Lustral but couldn't swear to it. (it was ten years ago that I took it!)

for Prozac, the usual starting dose for depression is 20 mg, but for OCD is 60 mg - however I was OK with 20 mg - they guy I was seeing for CBT was amazed that I would be helped by 20 mg, as he felt that 20 mg wasn't enough to shift OCD.

so basically I think you need to talk it thru with the docs and see what works for you.

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 14:04:00

yes thats right about lustral (50mg for one )
i do feel tired through the day and sometimes fall asleep sitting here with dd and dont seem to have much get up and go?, thought some of it might have came back!, but these'feelings' have only come on in last couple of weeks?

mummytosteven Wed 20-Apr-05 14:07:21

how long you been on Lustral for? if you haven't started taking it that recently, and haven't upped the dose recently, then I wouldn't have thought that you would sudden start feeling tired/sleepy just because of the Lustral. Unless there's an obvious reason for you being sleepy, like sleeping badly/too many late nights sort of thing, I wonder if you might be a bit low on iron - might be worth getting your GP to check out thyroid levels/iron levels in case there is a physical cause to the knackeredness. if your iron level is a bit low, then that can make you feel a bit more depressed/anxious, which makes you more prone to OCD type thoughts.

WigWamBam Wed 20-Apr-05 14:09:04

Agree about getting a thyroid function test done, particularly as an underactive thyroid is a major cause of depression as well as knackeredness.

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 14:13:45

been on it for few months now, upped dose to two about 3 weeks ago.
dont get a good nights sleep as dd sleep pattern gone to pot and spend too much time on here

havent had a thyroid test done recently, but have them done regulary and have always been borderline underactive, but not enough to be treat

mummytosteven Wed 20-Apr-05 14:15:43

oh I see, didn't realise that you had upped it recently to two tablets. think a trip to the GP to discuss it all could help. have you got any problems with heavy periods at all? just that if your iron levels get too low, that can make your thyroid level a bit too low (that happened to my mum recently).

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 14:18:17

no, not really heavy, but they have been very dark and clotty (if thats a word?) for the last 3 months?

WigWamBam Wed 20-Apr-05 14:20:31

Did you have the full thyroid screen done, testing the levels of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone as well as the T3 and T4 levels? I only ask because I had been borderline underactive for years until I had a full screen done, and they found that although the T3 and T4 levels were not too bad, the TSH was through the roof. My thyroid was underactive, but it wasn't showing as such on the T3 and T4 tests because of the TSH, which was 5 times the level it should have been normally to keep the T3 and T4 levels as they were.

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 14:20:37

copy and pasted from other thread so dont have two running and causing trouble

another thing that bothers me is i have to touch all my fingers with my thumb forwards and back again loads of times . not all the time, but sometimes i find myself doing it without realising?

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 14:21:41

god no?, you just baffled me, i wouldnt have clue that i needed to ask for anything like that, but that was really helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now