Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

how to deal with body changes?

(5 Posts)
dizzyone Wed 20-Apr-05 11:08:44

Not really sure what to call this thread. Anyway, my dd aged 9 and has asd is starting to mature. She has lots of spots on forehead, getting greasy hair, hair developing under arms and also her breasts are now growing. She attends a mld school who will this summer term include her in the year six sex/development education lessons. I have brought her 1st bras which are little more then crop tops as she was worried about the "bumps" she had and is ok that this is normal growing and all ladies wear bras. Periods have not started as yet, but how do I explain this. Can anyone recommed a very simple book with lots of pictures (dd need lots of visual aids)as although I have talked about this with dd and her sister she doesnt really seem to listen or understand. Would be grateful for any advice or info as the Osbourne book suggested by the school nurse was not really suitable as only covered pregnancy!

Thanks in advance

Davros Wed 20-Apr-05 15:16:52

I'm pretty sure there are some very good books around. Have you looked at Jessica Kinglsey or even the NAS even though she doesn't have an ASD? I know a couple of friends have talked about good books, could check for you.

coppertop Wed 20-Apr-05 15:49:44

There's a book advertised in the NAS catalogue which might be useful:

"Talking together about growing up: a workbook for parents of children with learning disabilities" by L.Scott and L.Kerr-Edwards.

"This book suggests a range of activities parents can do with their children to help them understand the changes in their body. Aimed at children with moderate and severe learning disabilitiesit is ideal for children on the autistic spectrum, with clear messages about appropriate behaviour and many simple illustrations."

I don't know if it's what you're looking for but it costs £12.99.

Davros Wed 20-Apr-05 15:53:59

That's one that I've heard friends mention! Well done CT, I'm too lazy to check...

dizzyone Wed 20-Apr-05 18:55:51

Thanks both - I'd forgotten about the NAS catalogue. I think the Talking Together book will be just what I'm after

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now