Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Social Stories - Can anyone suggest a good one for this sort of thing please?

(7 Posts)
Merlot Wed 20-Apr-05 09:47:52

Social Stories - Any good recommendations for this situation?

My friend was met in the playground yesterday by her son (8 years old) teacher. Apparently he has been showing off his w1lly with a group of other children. My friend's son is currently being assessed for statementing (has other behavioural issues) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend with any age appropriate social stories for this sort of thing as I thought it might help him.

Grateful for anything anyone can add or if they can point me to a previous thread - couldn't find one myself though

Jimjams Wed 20-Apr-05 11:42:23

Think it's always best to make one up tbh. I don;t have any (ds1 not at that stage) but if your friend can get to see a few the style is usually fairly easy to copy.

jmb1964 Wed 20-Apr-05 12:37:14

Yes, agree with Jimjams. Lots of scope for laminating and (discreet) photos to make it individual for the child in question.

Jimjams Wed 20-Apr-05 12:39:56

Maybe that's what I should use to stop ds1 picking his bum and sniffing it (oh such a lovely habit). At least I would have a photo of him smiling

I've tried just making him wipe his hands and ignoring it- but he now screams for a wipe if he picks it and can't get hold of one..... even at 4am- oh joy joy joy alive.....

Merlot Wed 20-Apr-05 13:10:09

Thanks everyone

I've found a website about social stories now, so I'll point her in that direction

She has trouble with her son scratching and sniffing too Jimjams

MotherEve Wed 20-Apr-05 13:54:44

We had probs with my son on this - he'd get his willy put, stuff his finger in the foreskin and then sniff his fingers! Did not go down well with the other NT kids. There's more - but not good for public reporting

We found out that it was due to sensory issues - he has either a heightened sense of smell or needs to smell things to stimulate himself.

We took him to the chemist - let him choose a soap he liked the smell of [apple] and then cut the soap into small chunks - he keeps one in his pocket and gets it out to sniff - still needs reminders but it has decreased the other sniffing.

This wouldn't work for everyone but thought I'd share it.

PS - Do not leave the soap in the pocket when washing the trousers!

Davros Wed 20-Apr-05 15:20:04

ROFL at the scratching and sniffing! DS has had some horrid habits but, as he is very closely supervised and mostly 1:1 its easier to manage. I used to have to march him home with a wedgie when he wanted to wee in the street..... then I'd let him if we were away from home, consistency eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now