Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

So long, farewell...

(36 Posts)
dinosaur Tue 19-Apr-05 13:12:49

I've been thinking for quite a while now that it's time I formally removed myself from the SN board.

As many of you know my DS1 was diagnosed as having high-functioning autism just over two years now, when he was three. Mumsnet was an absolute lifeline to me in the aftermath of the diagnosis, particularly in the run-up to DS1 starting at mainstream school and during his very bumpy first two terms in Reception.

However, he's doing so well at school now that there is even talk of taking him off the Special Needs register, as his class teacher and the SENCo don't think he really needs extra help - and I agree. Whilst I suspect he will always be a quirky oddball, and we do still have some difficult issues, I feel that for the moment anyway he can't truly be said to have "special needs".

So, with very mixed feelings, I think it's time for us to say goodbye - at least in the meantime - we might be back if it all goes pear-shaped. I will still lurk on the SN board, and if I see posts where I think I can be helpful, I will respond. But I think it's only fair to acknowledge that my path has now diverged a long way from those of the other mums of children with ASD on here, and I really don't want to carry on posting on here when it's no longer appropriate.

I do realise that those of you who are grappling with real special needs (ie everyone else on here!) are far too busy to sit around idly wondering "Where's Dinosaur? Why doesn't she post on here any more?" but I didn't want to just stop posting without some explanation. I will miss you guys and I owe you my heartfelt thanks for absolutely invaluable support during some tough times. I hope that I've been some help to others during my time on here.

And I'm not leaving mumsnet itself, of course. So you'll still see me lots and lots

coppertop Tue 19-Apr-05 13:16:20

It's great to hear that your ds1 is doing so well but that you're leaving us. And yes we would have wondered where you'd disappeared to!

Chandra Tue 19-Apr-05 13:18:28

Am I allowed to post in this board? anyways I will even if I'm not:

I just wanted to say thanks in behalf of my family, as your kind answers and comments made a real difference to my nephew situation. Thank you very, very much.

We are very happy to hear your DS is doing much better

Kayleigh Tue 19-Apr-05 13:19:16

dinosaur, what fantastic progress your ds1 has made. So pleased for you

Blossomhill Tue 19-Apr-05 13:19:24

So you won't be coming to anymore more sn meets then
Glad it all is going well. I can seriously see my dd heading in the same direction but am not at all ready to tear myself away as we do still have lots of issues and I need the support.
Good luck and you know we are all here if you need to listen. Blossom x

Blossomhill Tue 19-Apr-05 13:30:21

One last thing I hope you don't mind me saying but I would be worried about moving your ds off of the sn register. It is probably because of all of the help he has had that has made him progress so well. Take it away and it's hard to get it back again!!! He is only 5 still and year 1/2 are so much harder than reception.
I would hold onto the help with both hands. I mean dd is working 2 years above academically (Bibic assessed her IQ/underlying ability as 7yrs 8months and she is 5yrs 8 months) and I am well aware that as bright as she is she needs the support to carry on acheiving as well.

Marina Tue 19-Apr-05 13:36:55

Dinosaur, very very pleased for you and ds1, what great news

RnB Tue 19-Apr-05 13:42:08

Message withdrawn

binkie Tue 19-Apr-05 14:40:34

Oh, well done to your boy, dinosaur. Is it well done to the school, too? - have they been instrumental, or do you think he's grown into himself?

piffle Tue 19-Apr-05 14:46:08

Dino that is truly exceptionally terrific news to hear
WEll done to you and DS
xx

maryz Tue 19-Apr-05 22:47:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

marthamoo Tue 19-Apr-05 22:50:00

Dinosaur, it's lovely to hear your ds is doing so well (and I'm very glad you're not leaving MN!)

Davros Tue 19-Apr-05 22:53:46

Hey maryz, nice to see your name!
Dino, what very wonderful news! I'm so happy for you. I think I forgot to do anything about making a date to meet and had just thought about it today and up you popped!

dinosaur Wed 20-Apr-05 13:16:25

Thanks everyone for saying such nice things

maryz - great to hear from you - I've often thought about you and wondered how you were getting on - I totally agree with your post as that's just how I feel about DS1. I can easily see, just by comparing him to my nt DS2, that he is likely always to have difficulties with certain things - but a lot of the time he just comes over as "normal" (whatever that means!).

binkie - I think it's a combination of things - the school has been very helpful, but a lot of it is just down to the way DS1 has developed.

Blossomhill I do take your point, and I won't let them take DS1 off the special needs registeri without an indepth discussion of what we do should he need more support again. I think the school would be co-operative though, they've been great so far. He's starting in an extra reading group for talented readers this week, which we are excited about.

Chandra - what a sweet thing to say. How is your nephew doing, btw?

Merlot Wed 20-Apr-05 13:22:04

Understand what you are saying Dinosaur - look foward to seeing you elsewhere on Mumsnet and glad that your son is doing well

Jimjams Wed 20-Apr-05 13:27:03

Let's make the last post a nice one.

Well done baby dino onwards and upwards eh?

binkie Wed 20-Apr-05 13:27:12

dino - if things the school has done have helped - would you mind if I contacted you separately? We're at a bit of a schools crossroads

dinosaur Wed 20-Apr-05 13:32:46

Jimjams - thank you so much - that means a lot to me

Binkie - of course not - do you have time for a coffee/quick lunch some time in the next week or two?

Thomcat Wed 20-Apr-05 13:36:20

What a wonderful reson to be leaving! How fab, I'm so pleased for you and your family.
See you the other sections of MN but glad I won't be seeing you round 'ere!

dottee Wed 20-Apr-05 13:46:10

Dino - wonderful news (I remember the incident on the train well and glad things are much better).

Glad you are not leaving MN altogher. 'See' you again soon.

JakB Wed 20-Apr-05 13:47:33

Dinosaur, just caught up (slow, eh?!). That is such FANTASTIC news!
Please still come and talk to us though, we will miss you (I've got to get braver and go on different bits of mumsnet!)

binkie Wed 20-Apr-05 14:19:51

dino, thank you so much. Have sent e-mail - to work - but have suddenly thought maybe I shouldn't have sent there? Sorry if stupid.

maddiemo Wed 20-Apr-05 16:14:56

Glad he has made such good progress

Blossomhill Wed 20-Apr-05 17:40:41

Dinosaur - I just wanted to say again how pleased I am about how well your ds is doing. He sounds very much like dd who also goes into year 2 for her reading.
I hope I didn't sound too cynical about the sn register. It's just I know how hard it can be to get them back on again. Sounds as though the school are very good and know what they are doing so that is really good news

spacedonkey Wed 20-Apr-05 17:41:48

it's wonderful to hear your ds is doing so well dinosaur

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now