Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Insurance???

(14 Posts)
Jayzmummy Mon 18-Apr-05 12:12:52

Does anyone know about holiday insurance????

We are about to book our annual holiday......do I need to inform our travel insurance company that J now has a pre-excisting condition??? Seems strange that now we have the piece of paper that says its Autism that we are declaring something that J has had since birth!!!! Its not even something he has.....it is just J!!!!

Do you have to declare Autism as a pre-excisting condition???

Im probably being very blonde about this and I cant see how it would affect our insurance but thought I would check with you guys before I contact the insurance company.

Thanks.

RTKangaMummy Mon 18-Apr-05 12:28:04

We told them about DS Dyspraxia and Hypermobility and his asthma but we had to pay an extra £70 for it for a year

not sure about autism they asked lots of questions and the premium is worked out by the answers you give

When it came on the certificate it said a syndrome and I phoned up and was told that although DS didn't have it, it had to be put under this syndrome

Do you think you will want to claim for anything connected with AS?

KarenThirl Mon 18-Apr-05 12:29:34

Insurance companies don't like to pay out, so in the unlikely event that you did need to make a claim there's a chance that they'd use the 'you didn't declare it' line if it would man avoiding a payout. I'd declare it myself then you're on the right side if you need it, but the company could make problems for you if you don't.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be if J were to get into a situation that a non-ASD child wouldn't, and it resulted in an accident requiring a claim. They could then say you should have taken extra cover against such accidents. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here because that's the way insurance people think.

Jayzmummy Mon 18-Apr-05 12:33:42

I cant see us having to claim for anything to do with J's Autism....but then as my hubby said J has no sense of danger at all and we have had 12 trips to the hospital for broken bones and bad cuts in the last 18 months.....is this his spatial awareness and proprioception difficulties that are causing the accidents or is he just unlucky???? I expect we will never know!!!!

I'll phone insurance company now and see what they say!!!

RTKangaMummy Mon 18-Apr-05 12:44:04

If I was you would deffo tell them then

esp if going to USA

or out of Europe

Jayzmummy Mon 18-Apr-05 15:33:15

I phoned insurance company and we had to undergo a medical screening. There is an additional premimum of £67 to pay and the excesses are astronomical....Quote "children with ASD are a high risk of causing danger to others because they have a tendency to be violent". Strong words were used....soapbox moment came and went and I have taken my business elsewhere....managed to get it down to additional payment of £32 by shopping around and the company were excellent....good understanding of ASD and there are no excesses....the coverage is better to.

RTKangaMummy Mon 18-Apr-05 15:45:19

then

Merlot Mon 18-Apr-05 15:59:05

Jaysmum!

I think you should give those insurance companies a name check - the good one deserves more custom, the bad less!!

chonky Mon 18-Apr-05 16:37:04

Please can you let me know who the good company is , as I have to arrange the same thing for dd (just booked hols - dead excited!)?

PS - shocked about the first company you tried

KarenThirl Mon 18-Apr-05 16:44:50

Well done you for getting a good deal. I'd have bottled out and settled for the first one, I'm afraid. Bit of a blanket statement about ASD though, isn't it?

Jayzmummy Mon 18-Apr-05 19:36:47

The GOOD company I used was AXA Holiday Extras Insurance. Phone number 0845 458 0718. They perform the medical screening over the phone and then ask a few questions....put you on hold whilst they talk with a medic and then come back to you with their quote. The quote lasts for 14 days. So you need to phone AXA Holidays Insurance and pay for your holiday cover....then phone through to Axa Holidays Extras insurance...give them your policy number and your medical screening number and they will then add the additional cover. A bit long winded I know but well worth it.
Axa Insurance main number is 0870 844 2409.

Hope its of use.

Davros Mon 18-Apr-05 20:46:26

Maybe the NAS could recommend one? Or give advice about any potential discrimination.

chonky Mon 18-Apr-05 20:49:04

Thanks Jayzmummy, I'll give them a call tomorrow

Jimjams Mon 18-Apr-05 20:56:40

I contacted the NAS when BUPA threatened to charge an extra premium for ds1 (dh gets it on his company). Also sent off a stroppy letter to them- and told them I would not be taking out any policies with them for any of the family if they were not prepared to cover ds1. They did cover him.

The NAS was helpful - BUPA were meant to be fundraising or something for them at the time so I think the NAS were able to embarrass them.

DS1's nursery had this as well- the manager told the company to get stuffed and took her business elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now