Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can a child with language difficulties see an OT?

(6 Posts)
Blossomhill Sat 16-Apr-05 19:16:07

Really feel after our Bibic trip that dd would benefit from OT. Does anyone with children with similar difficulties have it?

Saker Sat 16-Apr-05 22:33:35

If you feel your dd needs to see an OT because she has the kind of difficulties they deal with then it shouldn't matter about the rest of her diagnosis, she should be able to see one.

I haven't kept up brilliantly with all the threads but I'm really pleased your dd is doing so well after your visit to BIBIC. And I'm glad the diet changes have worked - they can be hard to put in place .

Blossomhill Sat 16-Apr-05 22:34:33

Thanks Saker

pixel Sat 16-Apr-05 22:48:01

My ds is non-verbal and is only in the early stages of learning to communicate with a VOCA but he has still been referred to an OT by his school. Don't know if that helps.

newscot Sun 17-Apr-05 20:58:53

Blossomhill, just read this thread. My DD who has similar dificulties to yours has been referred to an OT (by the paediatrician)though this is more for her handwriting and drawing skills than for her sensory issues. Her problems were only slight I might add. This was all through the NHS. She has been assessed and will get a series of classes to bring her handwriting and drawing up to standard before she starts school.
Can the NHS in your part of the country do a similar thing. I think also there is a big difference between OT's- those that do the 'straight' sort of assessments and those that have a real interest and understanding of sensory issues.

mum38 Mon 18-Apr-05 13:47:36

hi BH

My ds2 has had some OT intervention too. He was refererred by the community paed. when he was 3.5 and it took 18 months to get seen. His co-ordination problems are slight but still noticeable compared to his peers. The OT was great and came up with some great games (drawing shapes with shaving foam) etc and had some great advice. I hadn't realised drawing a triangle typical comes with a child is about 5 for example. I have some specific advice for handwriting if you are interested.

Do any of the children in your dd's unit have dyspraxia -just thought if so it might be a possiblity an OT might be coming ito the school to see them and might be able to assess your dd? What are you concerned about?

Have just heard ds2 has a place in the mainstream school with the local language unit. We are still applying for a unit place for yr 3 but at least he will be able to access some help form the unit next year!! We are so delighted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now