Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA - what is it?

(22 Posts)
Pages Sat 16-Apr-05 16:43:21

I wonder if anyone could explain a bit about the ABA programme? Would it be helpful for my DS who has Global Developmental Delay? I understand it is designed for children with ASD. DS is not autistic, but he has a lot in common in terms of missing developmental stages such as clapping, pointing, etc and his fine motor skills are poor. Would he qualify for this programme, would it help him, and how do I go about it?

Christie Sat 16-Apr-05 17:08:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Socci Sat 16-Apr-05 17:34:29

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Sat 16-Apr-05 18:25:24

I'm definitely not an expert- we just do a mini- programme- once a week on saturdays. Davros is the expert.

Socci Sat 16-Apr-05 18:28:59

Message withdrawn

Socci Sat 16-Apr-05 18:36:48

Message withdrawn

Pages Sat 16-Apr-05 19:54:20

Thanks a lot everyone, will look now, Socci

Pages Sat 16-Apr-05 20:01:35

Have just had a look at the thread you mention and it does look the type of thisng that would really help DS, but if Davros is around would be grateful if she could point me in the right direction as to how to go about it - should I go through the website you recommended to Socci or approach my LEA?

heartinthecountry Sat 16-Apr-05 20:44:40

Pages - as Socci says we are setting up an ABA program for our dd. She is 2yrs 6 months (so pretty close in age to your ds I think) and has global development delay but not autism (though is starting to show a few auti traits).

We are going to do ABA because it just seems to make sense as a learning method. Also we are unhappy with her current provision and there is really no other alternative at this age.

We have chosen a provider (consultant) who has experience of other children who do not have ASD and who also have motor delays etc as we will build physio/OT into her program.

In terms of setting it up there are a number of providers. Some will only take on children with classic ASD because of the way they are funded. I would be very surprised if your LEA will be able to provide you with a program but if you are lucky may fund one that you set up yourselves.

We are planning to self-fund for 6 months but are going to push for the LEA to fund when dd is statemented.

Davros is definitely the resident expert and has been massively helpful to me. She doens't usually post much at weekends so bump this up on Monday.

HTH

Pages Sat 16-Apr-05 21:20:37

Thanks HTC, what is your DD's current provision just out of interest? And also, how are her fine motor skills? My DS seems most noticeably behind in this area.

Socci Sat 16-Apr-05 22:04:13

Message withdrawn

Davros Sun 17-Apr-05 22:46:26

Hi everyone, as usual I'm fairly absent at the weekend! My first recommendation would be to join Peach, www.peach.org.uk and that gorgeous boy on the home page is my DS! (a few years ago now). ABA-UK won't be much use until you've got some knowledge under your belt and, in principle, is only for people already committed to ABA.
You've already got lots of info from others here. All I can think of to add is that ABA (Applied Behavioural Analysis) is just a teaching methodology. It uses many of the common parenting principles you see on MN and those kid-training programmes on the telly these days. But it is researched, organised, applied and monitored in a systematic, deliverable and consistent way. At a young age many children with SN, not just ASD, need to be TAUGHT so many things and can manage and benefit from a very intensive level of teaching. It does change as they get older and (hopefully) progress so the teaching becomes deliberately less systematic and more "natural". I know several people (not least HITC) who use ABA with non-ASD children. One of my very good friends was one of the very first people to bring ABA to the UK from the USA and run a program and her DS does not have autism (HITC has met her). ABA is generally quite identified with ASD as the most well-known and extensive research into using it as an intensive home program was with children with ASD (Google Lovaas). My friend says that it is less identified with ASD in the USA.
Hope this helps, bit of a stream of consciousness but do CAT me if you want.

Saker Sun 17-Apr-05 22:58:09

Hi Pages

I wondered about ABA for my ds2 a while back who is without diagnosis but does have some autistic type features. Just to say I contacted Peach and they were unable to help much because we don't have a diagnosis of ASD. I haven't pursued it much further since then as I'm not sure it is really the right thing for my ds2 but if you are interested perhaps Davros or others could suggest other contacts also?

Davros Sun 17-Apr-05 23:01:37

If you were looking at Peach as a provider that would account for needing a dx. But as a support group and info provider, Peach is def worth joining. They are not the best run, most efficient organisation but mostly parents and a few staff. There are plenty of people who can run programs who don't care about dx and some who must have an ASD dx (like UKYAP). Its also much easier now to dabble and run a part-time prog.

Saker Sun 17-Apr-05 23:05:44

I did only ask for information and they said they would send me a pack (although they didn't ) but they couldn't do much more because we didn't have a dx. But perhaps we got our wires crossed a bit.

Saker Sun 17-Apr-05 23:06:59

Sorry I'm not trying to put Pages off, that was just my experience.

Davros Sun 17-Apr-05 23:08:01

They are bloody useless Saker.... I would go to their website and just get a membership form and join! I can send you a list of people who run programs, some I think are good and some less so.... Also, if you tell me what area you live in I could put you in touch with other local families to find out the lie of the land.

Saker Sun 17-Apr-05 23:12:24

Thanks a lot Davros but I've sort of wavered about the idea now. I find setting it up quite daunting particularly when I'm not sure whether it would benefit Ds2. He is making quite good progress and though still not definitely ruled out as autistic, I really don't think he is. A lot of his problems are related to his poor motor skills. I would definitely contact you if we do go down that line though.

Davros Sun 17-Apr-05 23:18:11

Good, contact ME and not Peach!

Pages Mon 18-Apr-05 21:27:21

Thanks,everyone - Davros, i am really interested as I think it would (by the sound of it) benefit my DS hugely. I am in Oxfordshire, if you know of a provider in this area. Is it worth me approaching the ed psych (who is already involved with my DS) about this, or is it something I have to set up myself? I will check out the peach website when I am less tired...
Thanks again.

Davros Mon 18-Apr-05 21:35:54

Pages, there are definitely people in Oxon running programs. If you want to CAT me and tell me where you are, how old DS is and anything else then I could find some families for you to talk to. I'd be very cautious about including EP at this stage although they could turn out to be your best friend, they could also be your worst enemy. Best to find out more first. I strongly recommend a book called Behavioural Intervention for Young Children with Autism by Maurice, Luce & Green. You can get it in the UK from Taskmaster in Leicester, ISBN # 0-89079-683-1, Morris Road, Leicester, LE2 6BR, Tel: 0116 2704286 www.taskmasteronline.co.uk

Socci Mon 18-Apr-05 22:20:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now