Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Potty training a 2.5 year old who cant hear very well so cant talk.

(7 Posts)
Sunshine78 Thu 05-Mar-09 14:34:59

My dd is 2.5 and showing all the signs of wanting to potty train however she has a hearing problem which is delaying her speach so she cant communicate very well tried doing a bit of Makaton with limited success any other ideas or should I leave it.

2shoes Thu 05-Mar-09 14:39:35

can you gte a picture and let him use that(dd has cp so no speach) we have a pic of a toilet on her tray and in the past have had them stuck in the "right" places.

Nat1H Thu 05-Mar-09 14:39:42

Have you tried PECS? Or even do your own version and make a card with a picture of a toilet on it. Then she can show you the picture to tell you she needs the loo!

Sunshine78 Thu 05-Mar-09 14:42:32

Good idea about picture HV/Speech therapist just say she'll take herself but I worry about when we are out

2shoes Thu 05-Mar-09 16:51:36

if you want to email me, I can send you the picture we use
mshadowsisfab@yahoo.co.uk

TotalChaos Thu 05-Mar-09 17:47:55

Sunshine - DS toilet trained when very language delayed at 3.5 - as your HV said, he startd off by taking himself at home/nursery - I kept him in nappies when out and about unless we were somewhere toddler friendly with loads of loos until he was fairly reliable iyswim.

RaggedRobin Thu 05-Mar-09 21:45:41

we are using one of these for ds (3.3 - language disorder?)

have had a very exciting week as he has started to use his potty at home grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now