Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS1

(8 Posts)
kaz33 Tue 03-Mar-09 05:43:11

DS1 (7 - year 3)

- hand flaps
- incessant fiddling
- started to squat on chairs instead of sitting
- talks incessantly normally about computer games
- very babyish language
- doesn't really have any friends though does try
- fixated on cuddly toys, wonders around kissing cat and trying to stuff in other peoples faces
- aggressive (thinks its a game, does something nasty to his brother and then looks round to check you are looking)
- clumsy
- doesn't really get cold
- scared of buttons and zips and writing on clothes
- always inventing rules for games for other people to play
- can't play on his own though used to love lego
- doesn't have an off button, never knows when to stop
- picks up on any language on TV or playground and then reguritates it at inappropriate time to teachers etc..
- finds physical contact difficult

I think everyone thinks he is a badly behaved, immature little boy who doesn't have any boundaries at home. Maybe that is true, certainly we are not the calmest of families but he is definitely different to his classmates and his brother.

amber32002 Tue 03-Mar-09 09:17:42

I think it's worth asking your GP for a referral to a developmental paediatrician to see if there's something causing his behaviour. It does sound more than a little like an ASD? Well worth getting this checked out, and age 7 is a good time for them to be able to do some fairly good testing.

TotalChaos Tue 03-Mar-09 17:13:40

agree with amber. also may be worth getting a SALT referral too as you are concerned about his language.

Tiggiwinkle Tue 03-Mar-09 17:16:19

Agree with Amber and Totalchaos-quite a few things in you list indicative of possible ASD. Ask your GP for a referral for assessment.

kaz33 Wed 04-Mar-09 22:13:42

Thanks ladies - I have googled Aspergers so many times and done so much with him which has helped for a bit, holisitic therapies which involved kiniesology, diet, homeopathy, nlp. Somedays I am certain he has ASD and then other days I think it is lack of boundaries at home. There are two boys at school with ASD, one has one to one help and the other is tutored on his own not within the classroom. So of course my son does not fit into that mould and all the other adults in my family think I am inventing it.

Now I have another worry, constant lies, today theft from the school book fare and then inability to tell the truth. And lets add incredibly hostile and disruptive behaviour. The vehemence of his hostility when challenged is breathtaking for a seven year old.

After todays incident with the book I think I need to speak to the school in more depth.

I

kaz33 Thu 05-Mar-09 10:09:52

As he gets older he starts to evolve in front of my eyes and with a bit of googling ADHD.

cory Thu 05-Mar-09 10:22:31

It does sound more than normal 7yo disruptiveness to me. And quite a few of the things you list are the sort of thing you couldn't possibly cause by a lack of firm boundaries iyswim. I think there is at least a chance that he needs extra help. I would definitely follow Amber's advice.

kaz33 Thu 05-Mar-09 10:40:05

Thanks Cory have been doing more googling because of his lying and it looks more ADHD and OCD , except of course he doesn't really run around all the time it is more the inability to concentrate, listen etc..

When I mentioned the lying and stealing to DH he went quiet and said that was what he was like as a boy. He constantly told lies and because they were not corrected he believed them. After a while he found it difficult to tell the difference between fact and fiction shock

Also strong genetic link and DH probably fits into this category.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now