Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sitting Scheme - Wahey!!!!!!!

(9 Posts)
Yorkee Thu 14-Apr-05 19:49:24

Right, you ALL need to try this.......

Apparently, most areas have a section called the sitting scheme under the 'Family Placement' department of social services.

Basically, if your child has special needs, you ring them yourself,its a 'open referral' which means you dont have to contact a social worker, dont have to have your kid on the social services register, they literally just fill a form in about your famly in general and try and match one of their police checked, ASD/SN aware babysitters who are usually mums themselves, who want to earn extra cash on an evening/daytime/weekend (whichever fits in with yours and their family lives) by sitting for the likes of us!!!

And the best bit..... ITS FREE!!!! You dont pay a bloody penny!!! The sitters are paid by social services, not us!!!

I deliberately asked if this was run in other areas (we live in Leeds) and she said yes, most. They also can discuss respite care if you want that as well. This is apparently done by foster carers, but she pointed out that this was completely different to a child having to go into foster care because of 'various other issues'. the respite is done by foster carers only because they have had the appropriate checks and training required to look after our kids. Sometimes foster carers on the register have no kids allocated to them, so do respite instead.

So get on the phone tomorrow!!!!!!!

Still keep thinking theres a catch.....but she is bringing the sitter to meet us as a famliy next Thursday!!!!

My only question is, WHY THE HELL DIDNT SOMEONE TELL US ABOUT THIS EARLIER!!!! I only found out through a friend.....

Good luck everyone!!

Jayzmummy Thu 14-Apr-05 22:16:04

That is obviously why our adoption social worker was able to offer us respite and not DP's.
He said that there are lots of foster families who do not have children placed with them and that he could find us a family to offer us respite if we wanted.

I will get on the phone tomorrow and see if this is available in our area....a night out is just what hubby and I need.

TheRealMrsF Thu 14-Apr-05 23:13:05


I will see what i can do with this!!!!

Merlot Fri 15-Apr-05 09:10:23

Well Done Yorkee - and thanks for sharing this!

I've been asking about this sort of stuff until I'm blue in the face I've been pointed in the direction of Crossroads (which I think is an independent charity), but no-one mentioned anything like this.

My point was that I was prepared to pay for a babysitter, but that I just wanted a list of approved babysitters who had `special' skills to deal with children with communication issues.

Heart in the Country - we need your web site NOW!!

This is exactly the sort of stuff that p1sses me off - complete lack of information!

TheRealMrsF Fri 15-Apr-05 12:40:12

well i contacted social services and several other numbers i was given....and i might as well be banging my head against a brick wall.

WHY can't services like this be NATIONWIDE.... why do we so often hit barriers when we need a service/diagnosis/treatment/therapy etc...when we find that what is available in one area has not even been heard of in another!!!


heartinthecountry Fri 15-Apr-05 13:02:37

I'm working on it Merlot .

This is exactly the kind of thing we want to include information on.

Jayzmummy and MrsF - do you know if you come under SS in Bridgwater? My mum used to work there and ran a scheme supporting respite foster carers (I think) anyway she would probably know if this kind of scheme runs in that area and who the contact is. I'll ask.

TheRealMrsF Fri 15-Apr-05 21:03:04

no- i'm in wiltshire.
i just got fed up told by one department that they only deal with reports to social services of cruelty/neglect of i suppose it will come down to me 'annonymously reporting myself'.....unless i harm my kids then there's no help for me...and ofcourse i am not going to do that. (they don't seem interested in what 'harm' you end up doing to yourself...or the harm each child does to one another)

Merlot Fri 15-Apr-05 22:35:13

Mrs F - sorry if this has already been suggested, but would Crossroads help you?

TheRealMrsF Sat 16-Apr-05 14:37:28

no- not heard of them- so just looked....and seems they don't cover my area (wiltshire/south west)

thanks for the kind thought though!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: