Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this a stutter?

(7 Posts)
catMandu Thu 19-Feb-09 18:56:48

Am re-posting in this topic in the hopes that someone here may be able to shed some light.

DD1 (7) is a very bright confident girl, ever since I can remember she has always talked in the same way. She doesn't stutter in that she can get her words out, but she often stops and repeats. For example she'd say 'Mummy, you know when we go to Grandmas...... go to Grandmas, well I like to sleep in the big bedroom.... sleep in the big bedroom'. The .... are gaps. I often hear dh telling her to think about what she wants to say, but actually when you listen closely it's not that she's forming an idea. She just stops a lot and repeats.

Do you think this is cause for concern? just a character trait? something we can help her with?

feelingbetter Thu 19-Feb-09 21:57:43

bump

TotalChaos Thu 19-Feb-09 22:03:46

have had a quick google (don't know much about stuttering), and sounds like it might be something called "cluttering" which is related to stuttering -

www.speechdisorder.co.uk/Cluttering.html

I've never seen that site before so can't vouch for it's accuracy etc mind.

alfiemama Thu 19-Feb-09 22:10:29

My son has a stutter, it first started at nursery, we thought to be honest that it was a control thing ( we didnt know about the asd then) I know that sounds awful to that now. He repeats words a lot, usually mid sentence though, we always thought its because his brain cant keep up with what he wants to say, he is going to SALT next week for the first time so should find out then.

Is she maybe reassuring herself, that she is correct maybe?

Also sometimes they have little conversations with themselves.

sphil Thu 19-Feb-09 22:25:48

DS1(also 7)does this a lot. He also repeats words and parts of words in the middles of sentences, eg: "Mum, you know that game, ame, ame, that I'm playing..."

It comes and goes - a speech therapist we saw a couple of years ago said it was probably a developmental stage and to do with needing time to process what he's going to say next. He also uses a lot of 'fillers' like 'I want to tell you something' and 'Can I just say something to you' and you can almost see his brain whirring away as he formulates what it is that he actually wants to say.

He has no SN diagnosis but we suspect mild traits of Aspergers and dyspraxia. There are many other things that lead us to this, though - the speech quirks are just one of them.

alfiemama Thu 19-Feb-09 22:28:58

Ooh sphil, Alf does that, he says "what did you say" or "I cant remember" I think its delay tactics, he hears you really but cant process it.

sphil Thu 19-Feb-09 22:34:39

DS1 used to do the questioning thing when younger - and would also say 'I don't know' when you were absolutely sure he did! He still says 'What?' a huge amount, but to be fair it's usually when he's got his head stuck in the DS grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now