Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autism - recommended reading for the clueless

(10 Posts)
WedgiesMum Sun 10-Apr-05 20:47:25

DS has just seen the Ed Psych who says he is 70% certain DS has some form of ASD (possibly Pathalogical Demand Avoidance but that's another story!!) and I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start with helpful books that I can get hold of to get more information. I know that you lot are brilliant at recommending things so I am throwing myself at your mercy.

And just as an aside I think its worth getting a formal dx for DS and how do I go about that - do I go through the Ed Psych? My Doctor? Try and get a referral to our local CDC? I think school would be a bit more helpful if we had an 'official' piece of paper as they are dismissive of the Ed Psych's report to say the least.

TIA!

WMxxx

Jimjams Sun 10-Apr-05 21:34:26

If he's pretty high functioning then something like Tony Attwoods stuff and Mike thingy's books?? help me out everyone else mind gone blank! Mike , mike....

I'd also read some stuff on the sensory issues- Stella Waterhouse A positive approach to autism is detailed but good- especially for those who kind of overlap lots of dx.

cazzybabs Sun 10-Apr-05 21:46:52

I would second Jimjams recommendation for Stella Waterhouse - really intersting reading. (I don't have child with autism - but it should be compulsive reading for all teachers)

singyswife Sun 10-Apr-05 22:19:05

I have a nephew with autism and I and his mum actually found the internet really helpful. Can't recommend any books but that is certainly where I got a lot of information from.

jmb1964 Sun 10-Apr-05 23:43:15

Mike ...Stanton, Jimjams? Can't now find the book, but did read it and it was good. It was by a father, who was also a teacher, trying to get his son understood at school, as far as I remember?

jayzmummy Mon 11-Apr-05 03:55:03

The Jessica Kingsley range of books are really good....try your local library.

Jimjams Mon 11-Apr-05 07:32:55

Thanks jmb- mike stanton! He covers the high functioning angle pretty well.

Davros Mon 11-Apr-05 09:46:43

Look at NAS publications too on their website. I'd advise getting a referral to CDC and/or Developmental Paediatrician via GP or HV.

WedgiesMum Mon 11-Apr-05 21:03:56

See I knew I could count on you lot! You are all stars! My local library is not going to see the back of me!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

WMxxxxxxx

Davzmum Tue 12-Apr-05 13:39:22

Hi Im new here!
I have a 16 yr old with high functioning Aspergers I would recommend also "The curious incident of the dog in the night" by Mark Haddon gives you a good insight into what goes on in an autistic childs mine (wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now