Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Jimjams..have you seen the Observer food section today

(14 Posts)
Beetroot Sun 10-Apr-05 11:32:08

Message withdrawn

Socci Sun 10-Apr-05 11:37:12

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Sun 10-Apr-05 11:44:27

Message withdrawn

Socci Sun 10-Apr-05 11:52:47

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Sun 10-Apr-05 11:57:22

Message withdrawn

Socci Sun 10-Apr-05 12:00:38

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Sun 10-Apr-05 12:02:06

Message withdrawn

Socci Sun 10-Apr-05 18:20:44

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Sun 10-Apr-05 20:35:41

Message withdrawn

tamum Sun 10-Apr-05 20:46:57

Casein the major milk protein, so I would have thought it would be in all cheeses to be honest, unless there's some soya-type version.

tamum Sun 10-Apr-05 20:47:21

Casein is I should have said.

Jimjams Sun 10-Apr-05 21:39:22

If you go casein free you have to use the soya cheese. It's pretty grim. Having said that socci we've seen no difference the 2 times we've gone casein free and massive difference as soon as we went gluten free, so not everyone is the same.

The other option is enzymes. I'm going to ask ds1's nutritionist about those soon. he's had a couple of infringements recently (eg munching doughnuts) with no noticeable effects- in the past that would have beeen a cue for 24 hours of screaming. Theorectially his gut should be getting better- so he should be ablee to go back onto gluten- I'm going to ask.

The Sunderland test is pretty good at picking up problems due to casein- they've identifiying beta caseiomorph or whatever its called on the readout- ds1 didn't have that peak and he has been fine. Also if there is a casein problem you see the effects of removing it very quickly- so you don't have to do very long trials (our first was 3 weeks, second 2 weeks- nothing- no change).

beccaboo Mon 11-Apr-05 10:18:17

We think ds had more of a problem with casein than with gluten. We saw a big change in him within 2 days of taking dairy out of his diet. We didn't do the Sunderland tests until after casein was removed. I regret this now, I would like to have had the graph showing that peak. He only showed a small peak for gluten - in Paul Shattock's words 'the sort of chap who will forget his wife's birthday' (!!) We have also taken gluten out of his diet, but it's hard to know whether this has had an effect or not.

Davros Mon 11-Apr-05 12:16:18

Just been sent this link too whatnottofeedyourchild

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now