Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD dd2 screams with fear when the phone rings.

(5 Posts)
Marne Sun 08-Feb-09 19:18:36

Dd2 has started screaming when our phone rings, she never had a problem with it before but in the past couple of weeks has cried every time it rings. Dh has said we will have to get a phone with a different ring tone shock. Is there anyway i can get her to tolerate the phone ringing?

MaryBSnowing Sun 08-Feb-09 19:23:54

How old is she? Is there an option on the phone either to change the ring tone, or turn the volume down?

There's no guarantee that a different ring tone would work, not without knowing why she is upset by it. Is it the shrillness of it?

Marne Sun 08-Feb-09 19:30:52

She's 2.11, i have tried to change the tone but it seems that there is only 1 ring tone sad, it is a loud traditional ring, the poor little mite screams like she's in pain sad, luckily we don't get many phone calls.

I will see if i can change the volume, if not then i may have to buy one with a volume control.

MaryBSnowing Sun 08-Feb-09 19:43:39

It might be pitch rather than volume though. Our digital phone has ring tones that you can chose from and set the volume on as well.

Bricks Sun 08-Feb-09 20:50:43

Change of phone is one option the other is to try the following:

Record the phone ringing
Then play it for a few seconds at really low volume whilst giving her something that she loves - eg favourite toy or game for a long time lots of praise and reward and cuddles.

Then add a couple of seconds low volume same again.

Continue with this just a little bit longer each time.

This can take a really long time and eventually you can increase the volume.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: