Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Are you more likely to get DLA if you have a diagnosis?

(8 Posts)
Fleurlechaunte Thu 05-Feb-09 16:30:20

Also if you are turned down, what is the chance of a successful appeal?

mummytopebs Thu 05-Feb-09 16:32:07

I will be watching this link cos we have just been turned down and cant decide wether to appeal or not

Marne Thu 05-Feb-09 16:36:06

I don't think dx makes any difference, we got midle rate before we got a dx for dd1, we get higher for dd2 who still has no dx.

Fleurlechaunte Thu 05-Feb-09 17:28:12

Also is it acceptable to put the SENCO as the other person who could tell you them about your child's disabilities? Are they allowed to get involved with that? Thanks.

pannetone Thu 05-Feb-09 22:06:59

Bump

Tiredmumno1 Thu 05-Feb-09 22:53:31

My son has global developmental delay he gets the middle rate, my health visitor filled out the form cos she done it in detail and thats what they want to see, so if u know anyone who is good at that including ur hv give it a go, it really helped me. And i would say appeal if u have to, u have nothing to lose, just get a bit of advice first.

Bumblelion Fri 06-Feb-09 12:48:41

I received DLA (my DD's portage worker recommended I apply for it, never heard of it before) when she was only diagnosed with 'global developmental delay'. Received it for 1 year (not mobility because of her age) before I finally received a firm diagnosis.

DLA only lasts for a certain amount of time - I had to reapply when my DD was 4 or 5 (can't remember) and again will have to reapply this October (when my DD turns 8).

The second time I had to reapply I asked the portage worker (who was no longer involved with my DD but was still in contact) to help me fill in the form. She recommended that I keep a copy of the form that she completed (which I have filed safely away) so next time I need to reapply I will know the wording to be used.

Am thinking that this year we may be turned down (after having it for so long) ... but her genetic condition will be with her for life, things do improve but she will always struggle with everything in life.

Fleurlechaunte Fri 06-Feb-09 19:25:18

Asked his SENCO today and she said yes, apparently she does it quite a lot so that is comforting and I think will be really helpful as she has so much experience with ASD and SHE thinks we should be getting it. Feeling a bit more positive now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now