Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autism & blue badge - facts please

(9 Posts)
RnB Thu 07-Apr-05 14:24:12

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Thu 07-Apr-05 14:27:39

I was told this as well by the DLA "helpline". We got higher rate mobility- and the blu badge. there is a specific court case involving autism- will see if i can find it.

Jimjams Thu 07-Apr-05 14:29:31

here we go details here- its the megarry case. That's for claiming higher rate mobility- you then get a blue badge automatically.

JakB Thu 07-Apr-05 14:48:28

Outrageous, sounds really rude. When we got dd's our fab paed filled part of it in and she said that dd is severely physically impaired due to her severe learning difficulties, refusal to walk, no sense of danger etc etc etc etc etc

RnB Thu 07-Apr-05 15:26:15

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 15:29:39

my goodness, it comes to something when the people on "helplines" are ignorant

lou33 Thu 07-Apr-05 15:41:28

you can also get blue badges if not physically disabled, but need supervision above and beyond their normal age, wrt safety and traffic, iirc

Davros Thu 07-Apr-05 16:49:19

I posted on this on ABA-UK within the last week or so, quoting the leaflet that states the rules inc that higher rate mobility is available to non-physically disabled children. Imo best to go DLA route than Council. Its says something like Lou has said plus behavioural problems I think.

saffy202 Thu 07-Apr-05 17:44:55

If the child is over 2 and receives higher rate mobility then the badge will be an automatic issue.
If they don't then they can still apply under the discretionary category. Unfortunately different councils use different discretions

Does the supervisor work for a local ofganisation? They could apply for an organisation badge which would belong to the organisation and which would mean they could use it for any other children with disabilities. Imho they are a lot easier to get

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: