Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

social workers looking round your house??????!!!!!!

(9 Posts)
anniebear Thu 07-Apr-05 07:46:22

Am a little worried when reading on the another thread that a SW had looked round one of your houses.

Has anyone else had theirs looked round?

We have asked for one just so we can get help in getting Direct Payments and maybe also for a bit of suport if needed. (TBH I dont really know what they do!!!)

Surely they wont look round our house?

Belive me, sometimes we would qualify for the "how Clean Is Your House" programme!!!

Never crossed my mind that one may want to see my house??!!

anyway, it wil be a miracle if we ever get a SW ...we are on one of those nice things called waiting lists!!!

Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 07:50:07

well anniebear, if she looks round mine she will faint

NotQuiteCockney Thu 07-Apr-05 08:08:48

I think these sorts of people are way less worried about dirt than you'd think.

I grew up in unmitigated squalor. Any time I'd have a boyfriend or whatever visit my parents' house, I'd warn them and warn them, and they'd still look totally horrified.

Throughout my childhood, whenever I was annoyed and unhappy, I'd think, oh, if Social Services saw what this place is like, they'd have me out immediately.

When I was in my 20s, my parents ended up with custody of two of their grandkids. They were, if anything, even less tidy by then. Social services were (of course) involved, and (of course) visited the house. My parents were still considered better choices to raise the girls than either my half-brother or his partner.

They care about safety and a loving home, not about mess. (And I'm sure your house is much less dirty than my parents was.)

QueenEagle Thu 07-Apr-05 08:56:21

When I used to foster, we regularly had checks on the house. In the beginning I used to make sure the house was spotless, but as time went by I was less bothered what they thought of my house (it was clean but always very lived in). It's not natural for kids to live in a mega tidy show home, a bit of mess is healthy. That's my excuse anyway.

QueenEagle Thu 07-Apr-05 08:56:21

When I used to foster, we regularly had checks on the house. In the beginning I used to make sure the house was spotless, but as time went by I was less bothered what they thought of my house (it was clean but always very lived in). It's not natural for kids to live in a mega tidy show home, a bit of mess is healthy. That's my excuse anyway.

QueenEagle Thu 07-Apr-05 08:56:50

fisil Thu 07-Apr-05 09:03:23

Surely an untidy house would help?

When I started looking for help with my AND my HV came round, and the very first thing she said was "your house looks really good, as ever", which she referred back to when I said I wasn't coping. I assumed this is why she and the SW I now have always have their appointments here - it is a good indicator of whether they can just sit back, or whether they need to offer you further support.

I was a bit shocked when I got a SW (especially as I got one within 48 hours - something to do with being 8 months pg!), but he has reassured me that he is basically looking for ways he can help to make my life easier. So the more they see that they can do, the more support you'll get.

anniebear Thu 07-Apr-05 13:49:04

It is not the rooms downstairs that is the main worry! Everything is thrown into mine and DH bedroom!! Dread what the window cleaners think!!!

I Can't really see them looking in our bedroom just because we want Direct Payments??!!?

Davros Thu 07-Apr-05 16:51:24

I get DPs and no social worker has EVER looked round my house. The function of the assessment is different to fostering etc. I've got a friend who is a social worker who I'm seeing tomorrow, I'll ask her too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now