Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Took ds to the cinema!

(12 Posts)
pixel Wed 06-Apr-05 21:21:44

Had arranged to go to pics today with friend and her 3 children. As she is very understanding of my ds I decided the time had come to try taking him too. Then I found out that she had 'accidently' offered to take 2 other boys so we had 7 children between us, one of them autistic! oh what a nightmare!

I had to take the major buggy because the car park was so far away but that was ok because I was able to leave it in the ticket office for safety. Then ds kept trying to run away but as I was holding on to him he threw himself on the floor and tried to crawl away. By the time we had got the tickets, taken all the kids to the toilet, sorted out their various popcorn/pick n mix requests, hauled a struggling ds up three flights of stairs and across a large foyer I was exhausted.

To my surprise ds sat beautifully watching the trailers and I even got as far as imagining my posting on mn tonight about how my son was the best behaved out of the lot etc etc. THEN he discovered that the seat tipped up and he could wriggle down in to the gap. That was it. I spent the whole film wrestling with him and feeling disapproving eyes boring into the back of my head!

To cap it all when we got back to the car park I found the car straight away but had to cart all the kids up 3 floors to find a pay machine. As soon as I'd paid the 'guest' child announced he was desperate for a poo and had to go 'now'. Off we rushed to the lift, into the shopping centre and back. By the time we got to the barrier it wouldn't lift up because I then owed another £1.20. I pressed the help button and a man informed me that I owed more money and I said "I know that" and proceeded to rant at the poor man as I had just had enough. He must have pressed a button somewhere because the barrier went up and I escaped! When I got home I had an attack of guilt in case I was caught on a cctv and pursued through the courts for the £1.20 and so had to phone up NCP and explain otherwise I'd have got no sleep tonight!

I WILL take ds to the cinema again but I will try the special needs session and not take 6 other children!

ThomCat Wed 06-Apr-05 21:32:34

Not taking another 6 kids is a great idea , TC x

beccaboo Wed 06-Apr-05 21:44:39

Oh pixel . Hope you're having a large glass of wine now. Lol about you phoning NCP though!

ThomCat Wed 06-Apr-05 21:46:08

pmsl at imaging your post on MN! bless you.

Blossomhill Wed 06-Apr-05 21:53:58

We still haven't taken dd to the cinema yet but it's on our to do list. Just need to find a film I know she will like!

pixel Wed 06-Apr-05 22:04:14

Yes I am having a glass of wine and dh cooked dinner as it was obvious I was in no fit state!

We went to see 'Robots' and as soon as it started I realised it wouldn't hold ds's attention for long. I'll definately pick the film more carefully next time. Shame they don't do a film version of Kipper the dog, we'd be ok then!

ThomCat Wed 06-Apr-05 22:08:11

I almost got round to thinking about going to see Valiant with Lotbags today

pixel Wed 06-Apr-05 22:16:35

Saw a trailer for Madagascar and it looked really good so might try that when it's out.

macwoozy Thu 07-Apr-05 14:52:57

Oh dear, I don't know if I could have coped with all of that Pixel. What a nightmare.
I tried the cinema with my ds, but he can just about manage the trailers, and then he becomes bored and very fidgety. Don't blame him though, the trailers seem to go on forever. Didn't know there was such a thing as an SN session.

JakB Thu 07-Apr-05 15:00:07

Pixel, OMG!!!! 6 other children!!!!!!!!
FAncy meeting for a coffee/glass of wine sometime?

KarenThirl Thu 07-Apr-05 15:30:42

J loves the idea of the cinema but as soon as the plot gets a bit hairy he starts screaming and crying that it's 'too scary' and wants to leave NOW. So far I've been able to persuade him to settle and I've explained that you have to have the exciting bits so that you're relieved when everything works out right in the end, but he's having none of it. We're having a hell of a time with Dr Who at the moment as well - he's full of it all week then watches it from the hall and no-one can hear the dialogue for his screaming.

pixel Thu 07-Apr-05 23:48:18

Macwoozy, I don't know if it's just our local Odeon (Brighton) or all of them. I haven't actually been but they have a saturday morning once a month which is for special needs and all the tickets are £2. The films and dates are advertised in the newsletter of an organisation called Amaze and I think you book in advance through them. I never bothered before as it was a bit awkward getting away on a Saturday when we had the pub but now I've got no excuse.

JakB, would LOVE to meet up sometime!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now