Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

i need personal story from CP...mild or moderate...what age was diagnosis?

(18 Posts)
haven Tue 05-Apr-05 22:54:51

o.k. for quite sometime i have suspected AS for ds..but after lots and lots and lots of reading and his age progression....and signs and symptoms...i just don't know anymore..

1..very clumsy..almost 2 and i still have to help hime slide down the slide out of fear he may fall..

2. he is right hand dominant as long as i can remember, he can use his left but will take something from his left if you put it in his left...Both parents are lefty...so if he is right handed that beats the odds because the odds are 46% that he would be lefty..

2..speech delayed, considerable

3. apparently uncoordinated..some days it is better. with out seeing you would says he is a toddler....nope...unbalanced..you can notice it on the playground..

4. depth perception is off a lil bit...he will either hit or go waaaaay around...

i was toggling with AS because of sensory problems, as well as speech delay, and insecure, and other things...so i was looking for personal stories..it is easier to picture from real people than symptoms list...cause it all depends...if you read symptoms list all children have something, but something is a lil wrong with ds i just can't put my finger on it...

as, also has delayed speech. aukward gaits,...and so on, but the older he gets i just don't know...

when he was evaluated, evan speech and sensory teacher noticed the unbalanceness

sparklymieow Tue 05-Apr-05 23:08:38

Hi Haven we have emailed each other, but I'll write here too,
Ds was disagnosed with modarate CP when he was 2 1/2, he walked at 18 months, was delayed at sitting, didn't sit till he was 14 months old and even that was "strange sitting" he w-sits which means he sits with his feet behind him IYKWIM, his speech was hugely delayed and he has only caught up with his peers recently (he is now 7) his balance is wayyyy off, and the slightest brush against him makes him fall. I knew there was a problem with him from 7 months, didn't know what, just knew..... he also toe walks. he is right handed

DD1 was diagnosed at 13 months, she was floppy and had low tone, couldn't sit up, hold her head till she was about 8 months, She has mild CP. Her speech is still delayed (she is 4) and she has learning problems too... she walked at 26 months, she has poor balance and struggled to uncoordinate her walk skills. She uses both hands and doesn't have a preferred hand.

sparklymieow Tue 05-Apr-05 23:09:51

sorry that should have "coordinated her walking skills"

haven Tue 05-Apr-05 23:22:04

hey sparklymieow.

yes,,,when you said if you push him a lil they will topple....but ds was not delayed..atleast not to the doctors...he was on time..now he did do weird things and he still does..when he would start to run he would like lock up his neck and tilt it to the side and bring up his arms, this has calmed down and almost non-existant...but he tends to lean into a particular direction when he is running and i read that with some forms of CP it tends to get worse with running. or hyperactivity..

He looks like he only just started running arms up and out , like he is grabbing for balance...he doesn't fall as much but after a year.....uummmm..

we are in constant worry, we have to watch everthing he does out of fear because he tends to fall and hit things (way more than most)

sparklymieow Tue 05-Apr-05 23:28:19

I would get him checked, asked to be referred to your local pead clinic....

lou33 Tue 05-Apr-05 23:54:04

ds2 has moderate cp, he is 4 and in a wheelchair. He was diagnosed at about 16m, but i knew from 7m really, i had said to dh what i thought was wrong but the paeds kept brushing it off.

sparklymieow Tue 05-Apr-05 23:55:26

lou how strange we both "knew" from 7 months, I thought DS had CP at 18 months, the hospital didn't listen...

lou33 Wed 06-Apr-05 13:04:54

i can't even say why i knew, i just looked at him and the thought went through my mind. He wasn't able to do anything tho, so that was probably it!

haven Wed 06-Apr-05 17:16:44

it appears that ds has a very slight leg length difference...noticeable by the way his stance is and at his knees the difference increases...one leg looks like his knee is 2-3 inches and the other looks like about 1.5 inches (totol knee length)i can't believe that i never notices it...i thought it could be months ago, but dh said no....but last night when he was only in his diaper i watched him walk...

haven Wed 06-Apr-05 17:17:49

also one calf seems to be harder and a bit more tight...could i be just crazy....?

Potty1 Wed 06-Apr-05 17:24:25

haven - my dd has a leg length discrepancy. She doesn't have cp but one calf was noticeably tighter than the other until her shoe was raised and she had physio. She walked late, was very unsteady, falling several times a day, had an uneven gait.

Get it checked out because even if its 'just' a discrepancy in his legs and not cp it should be corrected otherwise it can cause a curvature in the spine.

haven Wed 06-Apr-05 19:39:56

POTTY1
what age was this noticed...is it possible that it has taken this long to notice?

Potty1 Wed 06-Apr-05 20:04:15

We noticed dd's at about a year BUT that was because we were aware that she had circulation problems in that leg - she had had a clot. If we hadn't known that I don't think we would have picked it up until she walker which was at about 20 months.

haven Thu 07-Apr-05 03:33:31

POTTY1
do leg length differences increase with time? Reason being, i said earlier that i thought about it a while back, but dh said there was such a small difference it was hardly noticeable, but now even he says there is about 1/2 in. difference...but it is so hard to tell with a tot, because if they tilt a lil bit to much, or they move you can't really say..

Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 07:42:24

hypermobility syndrome can cause real unsteadiness too

Potty1 Thu 07-Apr-05 09:44:40

It depends why there is a discrepancy haven. In the general population there are lots of folks with one leg shorter than the other (usually up to 1.5 cm)......its generally more noticeable the smaller you are because its a larger percentage of your height IYSWIM. If you're only 3ft tall then an inch difference seems alot, but once your 6ft tall it doesn't seem so much.

Dd's is 3cm which when she was just up and walking seemed huge but now (she's 11) is quite manageable for her. Hers did progress from when she had the clot (at 5 months) to about age 2 1/2 but has been the same since.

It is really difficult to tell in a toddler as you say. Do you see a pead for the other sensory stuff you are worried about? You could ask for a referral to an orthotist or podiatrist and they usually stand them on blocks and check the hip alignment.

Potty1 Thu 07-Apr-05 09:54:14

Sorry - meant to say, dyspraxia can make them unco-ordinated, or as Fio says hypermobility, also
verbal dyspraxia causes problems with speech.

Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 09:55:09

hypotonia (which is low muscle tone) does aswell, although there is a type of CP called hypotonic CP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now