Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

JimJams are you about ?

(14 Posts)
Easy Tue 05-Apr-05 15:35:52

Just wanted to tell you some news about my step-son

I think I told you about his residential centre, and how he has settled to living a full, fairly independent life?

Last year he bought himself an electric guitar. Brought it to show us at Christmas. Plinked and strummed about, but nothing really musical. I assumed he would always just like to make 'noises' with it.

When he came to see us at Easter he brought a CD, made by the staff and residents at his centre.

The first track was the Troggs 'Wild Thing'. Rob was playing lead guitar, AND LEAD VOCALS.!!!!

If anyone had told my dh, 22 years ago, he would have hit them (seriously).

Just wanted you to know this.

RnB Tue 05-Apr-05 15:37:52

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Tue 05-Apr-05 15:40:28

easy that is great

where si the rsidential place btw <nosey> is it in derbyshire?

Easy Tue 05-Apr-05 15:46:08

Yes, those of you who don't know, Rob is autistic, was largely uncommunicative until he was 6 y.o., and spent all his childhood in a special educational unit in Nottingham (as a day school, not a boarder).

When he was 19 Rob moved to the AALPS college centre in Scunthorpe, where he lives now. He is now 22, has completed 2 NVQ's carries out work in 2 part-time placements each week, and is developing his musical talents.

Fio2 Tue 05-Apr-05 15:48:30

that is lovely easy

even though i lost my sister quite recently and have moaned and wimpered, she acheived so much (she had CF not sutism!) and I was always so proud of her. She was so much cleverer than me
I only aske dif it was derbys because i lived in staffs and there was a community not far from us, that was amazing/

Easy Tue 05-Apr-05 16:39:14

bump

Davros Tue 05-Apr-05 17:06:08

Great story Easy. Apart from science etc you'd probably find a lot of ASD traits in most pop stars!... e.g. in their own world

coppertop Tue 05-Apr-05 17:47:25

What a fantastic story, Easy!

SoupDragon Tue 05-Apr-05 18:19:40

Fantastic I have an autistic cousin (2nd cousin to be precise) and he's now living semi independently in a residential centre. I don't think his parents thought independence was a possibility.

Easy Tue 05-Apr-05 19:52:17

bump again

Jimjams Tue 05-Apr-05 19:53:17

Wow Easy. Your dh must be grinning from ear to ear.

onlyjoking9329 Tue 05-Apr-05 19:58:11

wow what an achievement which school in nottingham, my girls go to a special needs school in nottm

Easy Tue 05-Apr-05 19:58:46

Yes, he keeps just smiling to himself whenever the thought of it crosses his mind.

I can't wait to find out what Robs next number will be.

Easy Tue 05-Apr-05 20:03:32

Rob's first school was Sutherland House, until he was 11, then went to Rose Hill. Both were special units for autistic children, and did the most amazing job with him. He gained some GCSEs at Rose Hill (3 I think)

Obviously the system has changed a bit since his primary years, we don't know about Sutherland House now

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: