Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sooooo!!! can anyone tell me about sleep problems in children with dyspraxia and developmental delays please???

(16 Posts)
cherrymonster Fri 23-Jan-09 17:54:02

ds2 has this, and is driving me nuts getting up at 4.45am every bloody morning. grrrrrrrrr. what can i do to keep him in his bed?

bubblagirl Fri 23-Jan-09 18:02:08

how old is he and what time does he go to bed

not the same as you my ds has ASD but went to bed at 7 and was up before 5 every morning hv said he'd had his 10 hrs by then and all he needed but unable to get him to stay in bed his bed time has gone to 8 o clock sometimes bit later he now sleeps until 7-8 sometimes bit later he is 3.7

no help with keeping them in bed as i remember being a kid and getting up as bored staying in bed and being awake was time to be up etc

would he go bak to sleep if getting in your bed i did this for a while put him in my bed and he'd go back off for an hr or so

Phoenix4725 Fri 23-Jan-09 18:06:56

unfortuntley no help as whtever time my DS goes to bed 4,30 is morning and time get up NoW

cherrymonster Fri 23-Jan-09 18:07:48

ds2 will be 8 in june, and goes to bed at 8pm.. no chance of him either getting into bed with me, or going back to sleep even if he did. he is not a cuddly child and would not want to get into my bed. its not so much that i mind him being up at that time, its more that if he is up, everyone is up because he is a noisy little git and wakes us all up. i'm bloody knackered, with an older one and two younger ones aswell.

cherrymonster Sat 24-Jan-09 00:18:10

anyone?

bubblagirl Sat 24-Jan-09 09:05:29

i have no real advise im afraid as will probably have to tackle this as my ds gets older he seems to need less sleep doesn't get the be quiet at all, can he watch dvd with headphones on or like my son doesn't like things on his head or ears, ive found giving my ds my phone with games on keeps him still for good hour

does he have a console to play maybe to keep him in his room

im afraid i have tips for toddlers not 8 yr olds but i feel fore you as my ds had the same time wake up for months and i was so so tired hopefully someone in same situation will come along with advise for you xx

improvingslowly Sat 24-Jan-09 09:29:33

If you can afford it (about £45/session) try 3 sessions of cranial osteopathy to see if it helps.

5inthebed Sat 24-Jan-09 10:53:43

What about one of these or this for an older child

The eyes close when its bed time, and open when its time to get up. Would he understand something like this?

cherrymonster Sat 24-Jan-09 11:37:22

i probably can afford the cranial osteopathy- after all thats what his DLA is for really. thanks 5inthebed- the cars one might be good, he isnt really into thomas anymore. if i could find a ben 10 one it might be even better, he loves ben 10.

vjg13 Sat 24-Jan-09 12:22:32

My daughter is 10 and has GDD. She is up early too and LOUD!

We have a john lewis nighttime clock which either shows a rabbit in bed or on the way to school. It is on the wall and fairly tamper proof. We set it for 7 and tell her to stay in her room and not get ready etc until the rabbit is going to school. It is working better than the other type of rabbit clock which she used to reset! She is always up earlier in the summer even with a black out blind, heavy curtains etc. She does see an osteopath too but have never noticed any change with sleeping and early starts, (its for her glue ear).

Tclanger Sat 24-Jan-09 13:34:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dramaqueen Sat 24-Jan-09 13:39:20

My 7 yr old ds has dyspraxia and has sleep problems, but ours are at the other end of the night. He goes to be at 8 and gets to sleep between 10 and 11. We have to wake him for school the next day. He has a weighted blanket which has helped a bit.

cherrymonster Sat 24-Jan-09 14:17:15

he has no problem getting to sleep, or staying asleep. he doesnt wake up in the night, its just this getting up early in the mornings. i cant take much more of it.

TinySocks Sat 24-Jan-09 20:11:12

my sympathies cherrymonster. My DS has GDD, when he was a baby he was a dream, slept from 7pm to 7am. We thought we were so lucky.
Sometime after his first birthday everything changed. Just like your DS, he goes to sleep well at 8pm, sleeps well through the night (he went through a period of waking up during the night as well). He used to wake up at 4:30 every morning, now luckily he is waking up at 5:30.

we have tried so many things. We bought a white noise machine, put him in a large bed with a heavy cover. These things seemed to work for a while, but then he goes back to his usual self. I even tried kinesiology! I don't know what else to do.

5inthebed Sat 24-Jan-09 20:18:44

Cherrymonster, my ds1 is mad on Ben 10 as well. We had a very Ben 10 Christmas here

cherrymonster Sat 24-Jan-09 21:30:55

tinysocks- ds2 was similar- slept from midnight till 5.30am from the day after he was born, then from 8pm till 8am from 6 weeks old. everything changed as soon as he turned 3.

5inthebed- sounds very much like ds2's 7th birthdya last june, he had a black ds, with a ben 10 game, a load of ben 10 figures and the alien laboratory all wrapped up with ben 10 paper and a ben 10 card!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now