Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Standing right up close to the TV?

(15 Posts)
delllie Mon 04-Apr-05 13:34:22

This is something my DD has been doing for a while, if there is anything really interesting to her like ceebeebees or football!!! she will go right up to the TV to watch it and gets very excited too. Sometimes she kinds of tenses herself up too. We have had a visit off DD Ed pysch this morning and the EP wrote this in her notes and asked whether she had had her eyes checked which she has. I am sure I have read on the interent somewhere that this behaviour can be linked with autism but I have never been able to find it again, Just wondered whether this sounds familiar to anyone or whether it is just one of DD's quirks??? (DD has just turned 3)

eidsvold Mon 04-Apr-05 13:51:26

could just be one of her quirks - dd1 - eyes no worries but she has downs syndrome often likes to stand up right close to the tv and point to things or stroke them - hence filthy screen.

Jimjams Mon 04-Apr-05 13:57:20

can be an autism thing. ds1 does it (both the standing close and the tensing up).

Cristina7 Mon 04-Apr-05 13:59:35

Is her hearing good?

happymerryberries Mon 04-Apr-05 14:01:20

My very nt dd does this and always has. She now wears glasses but her vision was fine when it first started. Ds copies her, but isn't so 'taken' by it.

Neither are doing it today as they have both been 'banned' the TV/video/dvd due to poor behaviour hurumph!

delllie Mon 04-Apr-05 14:04:04

Yes I can definatley identify with the filthy screen eidsvold, in fact its hardly worth cleaning it as 10 mins later its as dirty again!!

delllie Mon 04-Apr-05 14:07:34

Thanks Jimjams, I have mentioned the tensing up thing to DD's physiotherapist before, as she does this when she gets exicted over anything, but the physio thinks it was linked to DD's low tone although she never witnessed DD doing this.

Christina, as far as we know her hearing is okay, she had a hearing test at 11 months which was fine and she doesn't give us much cause to worry otherwise.

delllie Mon 04-Apr-05 14:11:58

Thanks HMB, you are very brave banning the TV!!!

TwistedSister Mon 04-Apr-05 14:27:45

My daughter does this, I've never worried about it. Do you think I should be?

happymerryberries Mon 04-Apr-05 14:29:39

They are playing beautifuly together! I am quite amazed as I let them watch far too much stuff on the box. I was quaking in my boots when I told them . But the misbehaviour was TV led so it had to go! Never done it before and must say I am tempted to do it more often!

happymerryberries Mon 04-Apr-05 14:31:46

Twistedsister, I don't think that it means anything of itself. Dd is totaly NT and she did it when her eyes were ok.

chipmonkey Mon 04-Apr-05 14:40:52

I'm an optometrist and lot of children are brought for checks because they're standing v. close to the TV. Mostly they're fine, they just like to stand close. I don't think its just kids with special needs, lots of them do it! I think children should have their eyes checked periodically anyway to make sure there are no problems but I woudn't be especially worried.

Dingle Mon 04-Apr-05 14:51:52

No offers of solutions, just good to know I'm not alone in this.
I so know what you mean about the TV screen, only minutes after cleaning it, it should be done again. I used to put a little table against the TV cabinet to stop dd getting so close, but know she just climbs up onto it and uses it as a little bench with her face almost pressed against the screen. I've taken it away now, it wasn't solving the problem, and put her in danger of falling off and hurting herself.
DD is due to have her annual eye check soon, so I'll just have to see how it goes!

Davros Mon 04-Apr-05 18:01:59

"the shudder" (tensing up) is a known autistic trait, my DS used to do it but doesn't now. As for standing close to TV, look at hand flapping thread. Could be nothing to worry about as lots of kids do it but if it is perseverative and a way of blocking out other stimuli it could be significant.

Fio2 Tue 05-Apr-05 07:47:00

my daughter does this and she is long sighted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now