Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Has anyone got any experience of Special Needs All terrain buggies and...

(10 Posts)
Merlot Sun 03-Apr-05 21:34:34

are they any good?

Ds2 is so big for his age that he is practically out of his ordinary three wheeler buggy. As he is not walking, I am feeling a little worried that this means the end of walking in the countryside for the rest of us. Any experience, views or ideas? Your comments would be much appreciated

coppertop Sun 03-Apr-05 21:45:29

No direct experience but there was a story about these in our local paper last week. A couple had a 7yr-old who was outgrowing his McClaren Major and they wanted something that they could use on uneven surfaces. They found a 3-wheeler all-terrain buggy but couldn't afford the £500 cost. The family's social worker advised them to contact a local mountain rescue charity (bizarrely nowhere near any mountains!) and they paid for it.

Merlot Sun 03-Apr-05 21:51:23

Thanks CT. £500

maddiemo Sun 03-Apr-05 22:17:05

We use a Mothercare Urban Detour for ds3 who is 6.5. However he is quite small but I reckon it will see him out another couple of years.

Jimjams Sun 03-Apr-05 22:31:39

Pegasus pushchairs are great and they did a SN version. I'm not sure they still exist- but if you could find a second hand one I'm sure it would still have lots of life left in it. I've used my (normal) Pegaus for years now- onto the third child- and its been everywhere.

mulsey Sun 03-Apr-05 23:52:05

Hi there, we have a special needs 3-wheeler, its fab. It is made by a new zealand company and its called a mountain buggy. Its been adapted by a firm in wiltshire called delichon (i think), however I do believe that you can now by the adapted version from mountain buggy too - both have different adaptions though. Our daughter was 2 when we got ours, and it will do her until shes 11. It has moveable footplates and 2 different sized seats.

Merlot Mon 04-Apr-05 09:09:45

Thanks everyone. Will have to do my research now - the Mountain Buggy sounds great Mulsey

Fio2 Mon 04-Apr-05 09:40:03

mulsey, are they okay to take shopping?

We have a major but dd is so tall and she keeps nearly tipping it

hub2dee Mon 04-Apr-05 10:02:04

Hi Merlot,

Nigel, the blokey that runs pushchairs.co.uk is a Mountain Buggy dealer. He was very helpful when charleypops and I were trying to deicde which model to go for and he sells SN MBs too.

The two relevant pages on his site appear to be
Here
and here , but drop him an e-mail. He seems to know his stuff.

HTH

Merlot Tue 05-Apr-05 21:25:27

Thanks hub2dee !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: