Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

You know that you are destined never to blend into a crowd when.......

(10 Posts)
coppertop Sun 03-Apr-05 13:42:29

.......... A woman working in the shop you are in leans over the counter to your ds2 and says:

"I saw you running away from your mummy the other day and screaming. You can run very fast can't you?"

I should add that:

A) The meltdown in question happened 2 miles away from the shop;

B) I'd never seen this woman before in my life!

C) We don't live in a tiny village/town!

Do we really stand out that much?????

Dingle Sun 03-Apr-05 14:21:43

JanH Sun 03-Apr-05 14:24:24

Is it the coppertops that make you so recognisable I wonder, ct? (Am assuming the DSs have them?)

As a comment from a total stranger, it was rather nice, though - made me smile!

(btw did you go to that twirly thing in Bedford in the end?)

eidsvold Sun 03-Apr-05 14:25:23

oh dear what did you say!!

If it is any consolation - my dd1 is usually so vocal - saying hiya repeatedly ( at the top of her voice) and waving like mad at people and then grabbing them as they pass if they ignore her!!

Dingle Sun 03-Apr-05 14:35:25

HHhmmm...dd will never just "blend in" IYSWIM. She just has something about her that says..."look at me, aren't I clever, aren't I adorable,aren't I sweet!!" even when she is being a little monster, she tilts her little head on one side and grins from ear to ear, trying to wrap me round her little finger a little bit more!

JoolsToo Sun 03-Apr-05 14:36:47

"You know that you are destined never to blend into a crowd when......."

you jump up and down and wave your knickers in the air

Jimjams Sun 03-Apr-05 15:27:39

ROFL CT

Or as you pick up ds1 from school and walk through the playground someone grabs their mum, points and says "look that's A's mummy, look mummy that's A". I never minded that much (variations used to happen a lot) but must say it is nice not to be the school freak show anymore. NOw he's just one of the crowd (of noisy, stimmy kids).

Jayzmummy Sun 03-Apr-05 15:48:28

Jimm Jams...Thankyou....you just hit the nail right on the haed for me....I now know special school is the right place for J.

You know youu'll never blend into the crowd when....

sitting in a restaurant and your meal is bought to the table and the food on his plate is touching....so he goes into major meltdown and screams the place down!!!!!!Everyone goes quiet and stops and stares whilst you try to remove the offending plate at the same time as trying to stop him from over turning the table, along with rumaging into the handbag slung over the back of your chair to find a banana to pacify him... which then gets smeared all over the table because he just cant cope with everyone looking at him......

Never again will we do "sunday lunch" down the pub!!!

Jimjams Sun 03-Apr-05 17:03:55

That's the sort of reason we haven't been out for a pub meal (or cafe or anything) for about 2 years ds2 thinks its a rel treat to go to a cafe.

And guess what his school did with ds1 a few weeks before the end of term..... took him to a cafe!!! I was very impressed. They'll progress on to getting him to exchange PECS cards for food. Amazing! Definitely the right place.

coppertop Sun 03-Apr-05 18:39:35

Ds2 has a little curly coppertop but ds1 has dark hair like dh. I just hadn't realised that he was so memorable out of a city of 70,000+ people. Eeek!

Dh found it all very amusing - while I could feel my face burning. I had flashbacks of ds2 screaming and kicking as I wrestled him back into his pushchair - while ignoring the onlookers who probably thought I was attempting to murder him (although the thought may have crossed my mind ). I think I managed a polite comment about the terrible twos and scuttled out of the shop.

Jan - No we never did get to the exhibition after all that. Ds1 came down with a virus just before the end of term and has been really knocked out for the past couple of weeks. The morning of ds2's meltdown was the first time that ds1 had been outside for ages. Poor little mite. I'm hoping that he'll be 100% again in time for school in just over a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now