Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

starting letter to LEA for statement (ASD) - advice?

(12 Posts)

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Fri 09-Jan-09 16:54:13

I literally just used the IPSEA outline, and filled in relevant gaps (name, school, difficulties)

It worked for us (well, they agreed to assess - last December! Still not got a statement...)

alfiemama Fri 09-Jan-09 17:13:36

Hi Leonie

I have no advice Im afraid, but just wanted to say, good on you.

Seuss Fri 09-Jan-09 17:19:21

yeah - go for it. We had a similar situation, in our case one of my key concerns was ds1's safety so we highlighted those issues. Our letter finally got ds a statement (despite being refused a couple of months previous) so go for it!

Seuss Fri 09-Jan-09 17:19:52

And good luck!

daisy5678 Fri 09-Jan-09 17:29:59

I would also include all professional reports e.g. CAMHS that you have, to show exactly what her dx is and that she's 'in the system' anyway.

Poor you (and her) - they're being abit jobsworth imo, though it is hard when budgets are tight. Doesn't take much to see that caring for a child's basic needs is actually very much in their remit!

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn

daisy5678 Fri 09-Jan-09 19:17:04

Statements are for educational needs though - which is why NAS have rightly advised focusing on how her SEN are barriers to the curriculum. They don't have to do as much by law when it comes to toileting and personal care stuff in schools- but it can be written into the Statement.

Mind you, J's Statement sets out need for 1:1 at all times (full time Statement gives full time money for full time person - and I fought bloody hard for it) and even explicitly says supervision is needed in the toilet, but they don't follow it angry. He wet himself a few weeks ago, and, rather than go in and help him change, they gave him his clothes and left him to do it himself.

So of course he comes home with dry clean trousers OVER the wet pants. They hadn't thought to tell him to take the wet pants off and hadn't thought to check. Wouldn't have needed to if they'd followed the law though! angry

Sorry - off on one blush

You *have to* make it about access to the curriculum. But you can also refer to social needs and safety and personal care stuff. Good luck

Message withdrawn

Clarissimo Sat 10-Jan-09 11:06:36

quote everything they have said about personal care etc- we did and it really helped; it reflects the schools attitude to nclusion, is discriminatory (see if you can find jut eon that- toiletting and asd) and lack of care on that level will directly affect their ability to learn and integrate wit their class

feel free to contact me (peaches and cream 04 @ bt internet . com) if i can help with it- have done 2 statrements for asd without school help, both awarded- formerly Peachy btw

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now