Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Claiming for Mobility component of DLA at 3.

(8 Posts)
wrinklytum Tue 06-Jan-09 22:00:53

My da d says I can do this for dd.

However,her mobility has come on leaps and bounds in last month,which is fab.She still can't do long distances but can wobbly walk short distances.I feel that it would be taking the p a bit to claim though.I mean she can walk a little.What do you think??I mean so many other children genuinely need this and I feel I would be abusing the system.DP is also on dla and until a year ago we werte both working and paying taxes.I feel like I am scrounging the system a bit if I claim.

Sidge Tue 06-Jan-09 22:11:12

If you think she is entitled then claim. Fill the form in honestly then they will make their decision smile

wrinklytum Tue 06-Jan-09 22:16:52

Thanks Sidge.I guess I feel that I never thought we would be in this position...2 lots of dla.I don't WANT to be a drain on the system but dp chronic illness and dd diagnosis happened concurrently.

I just feel guilty.I still need to put dd in carseat,lift her in/out cot,in out bath,in out booster chair.still have pushchair for anything over about quarter mile,but am aware many peoples dc would not be able to do what she does now.

Sidge Tue 06-Jan-09 22:25:58

Why would you be a drain on the system? If you are truly entitled (as I'm sure you are) then that's what the system is there for.

We claimed from 3 for DD2, even though she could walk a tiny amount. However she is incredibly weak and wobbly, has no sense of road safety, fatigues very easily (we have to take the Major everywhere) and needs to be lifted in and out of her car seat as she can't climb in and out. I don't feel guilty, as she in no way has a level of mobility comparable to her peers.

anonandlikeit Wed 07-Jan-09 09:27:36

I feel the same wrinklytum, ds2 has had the mobility component since we first applied, although we didn't know anything about DLA until he was almost 4.
He can also walk short distances, very wobbly etc, much as you describe your dd.

TBH the guilt is less nw that he is a little older (6) & although his mobility has not go any worse the gap between him & his peers seems huge now.
We ahve just swapped his major for his 1st wheelchair.

As Sidge says, complete the forms honestly & let them decide, they don't part with money easily you know

sarah293 Wed 07-Jan-09 10:49:45

Message withdrawn

BoffinMum Wed 07-Jan-09 14:58:38

We had exactly this problem, as DS2 had Developmental Co-ordination Disorder, and used to tire easily compared to other children of the same age, and start falling over. I think you should claim. You are supposed to write down how it is when your child is at their worst, not what they are like on a good day. Remember it lasts three years and the expense of having this problem starts to mount as they get older - for example, the first thing we did when getting DLA for DS2 was to invest in a more sturdy (but normal) buggy that lasted him until he was 6, and we also bought a new car seat that was easier to use and easier on my back. That is what the money is for - to offest this additional expense. It's routinely awarded in these situations. See it as extra child benefit it that helps!

BoffinMum Wed 07-Jan-09 14:59:27

We had exactly this problem, as DS2 had Developmental Co-ordination Disorder, and used to tire easily compared to other children of the same age, and start falling over. So I think you should claim. You are supposed to write down how it is when your child is at their worst, not what they are like on a good day. Remember it lasts three years and the expense of having this problem starts to mount as they get older - for example, the first thing we did when getting DLA for DS2 was to invest in a more sturdy (but normal) buggy that lasted him until he was 6, and we also bought a new car seat that was easier to use and easier on my back whilst loading up an older child. That is what the money is for - to offest this additional expense. It's routinely awarded in these situations. See it as extra child benefit if that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now