Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

aibu to hate it when the news reader says XXXX suffers with cp

(16 Posts)
2newyearshoes Wed 31-Dec-08 19:23:52

I always swear. ffs dd does not suffer!!!

LynetteScavo Wed 31-Dec-08 19:40:33

YANBU- but maybe you should let them know how you feel, rather than swearing at the TV. If you don't tlet them know how you feel they will say it forever.

supportman Wed 31-Dec-08 20:15:54

Quite agree, should be X who has CP or similar. The little girl who has CP that I work with certianly does not suffer, she is always happy and full of life. Despite being in a wheelchair, tube fed and so on, SHE enjoys the life that she has.

2newyearshoes Wed 31-Dec-08 22:12:19

that is like dd, she is soooooooooooo not suffering the opposite in fact

macwoozy Wed 31-Dec-08 22:43:37

I had the same with my ds's latest report from his cardiologist, it said he 'suffered' from autism. It certainly can make life difficult for him but I wouldn't say he actually suffers from it. Strange word to use.

sphil Wed 31-Dec-08 23:54:08

Yes, I've had the 'suffers from autism' too. Now he is suffering from a broken leg for sure but not, as far as I can see, from autism.

sarah293 Thu 01-Jan-09 09:29:47

Message withdrawn

misscutandstick Thu 01-Jan-09 09:41:34

DS1 doesnt 'suffer' with ADHD, but the rest of us do grin

amber32002 Thu 01-Jan-09 10:23:26

People suffer from me grin. I don't suffer from Asperger syndrome (well, not much, really). So yes, I think "suffers from" is pretty bad. Nothing wrong with "has". "has CP" "has autism". Easy.

sarah293 Thu 01-Jan-09 10:32:15

Message withdrawn

MABS Thu 01-Jan-09 11:23:38

do agree with you,shouldn't be said, but ds does suffer from his cp i'm afraid.

daisy5678 Thu 01-Jan-09 11:24:51

Yep, when J realises how different he is from other kids and bites/ hits himself saying that he's a naughty boy and wishes he was dead, he is suffering from autism. He's bright enough to see how different he is and it hurts him.

amber32002 Thu 01-Jan-09 11:49:49

I can understand what people mean when they say we're 'suffering from' a disability at times in our lives. But 'suffering' suggests a permanent state of pain and the endurance of that dreadfulness, a person bravely withstanding the neverending awfulness of life.

All of us on this earth feel that way sometimes, and certainly the days when (for example) I'm in huge pain with my arthritis I can truly say I'm suffering. And some people with disabilities have a heck of a job coping with life. I suffer when I ask for help with something with the ASD and people bully me instead. I suffer when people bung me in noisy perfumey rooms and get cross with me with reasons I don't understand. But there's joy in my life too. I don't want my life defined by my 'suffering'. It's a really negative way to view me, I think.

slackrunner Thu 01-Jan-09 16:38:34

My dd suffers with her cp (well, the side effects of recurrent chest infections, epilepsy, more hosipital tests than you could shake a stick at)...But I can see how some people with CP wouldn't be suffering from it, and also why it winds you up 2shoes.

DeputyDog Thu 01-Jan-09 17:38:39

It depends which definition of 'suffer' you use. The word doesn't have to imply agony or unpleasantness. Suffer can simply mean 'to experience or undergo'. Have a look at dictionary.com

2shoes Thu 01-Jan-09 17:39:58

the man he was talking about was a gold medal winner in the paralympics...
so suffer!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: