Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

standard wheelchair

(21 Posts)
anonandlikeit Tue 30-Dec-08 22:19:49

ds2 has cp & asd, we have just decided to swap his major buggy for a wheelchair as he is getting a bit older & bigger.

Ths ot has ordered the wheelcahir, doesn't need any special adaptations or anything so it should be here ina bout a week.

I would liek to prepare ds2 & show him what his new wheels will look like.

Does anyone know of any links to the standard issue kids NHS wheelchair?

Thanks
Anon

2newyearshoes Tue 30-Dec-08 22:37:53

IS IT A NICE ONE OR A really bog standard one?

anonandlikeit Tue 30-Dec-08 22:41:52

I haven't got a clue, the OT just measured him & said she would fill in the forms & wheelcahir services would deliver i within 2 weeks.
She said she would request a blue one, beyond that I don't know??
Guess I should of asked.

So I recon bog standard??

2newyearshoes Tue 30-Dec-08 22:44:03

I would ask as there are some horrid ones out there. the first one dd had was an old ladies one!! she was 5 ffs. I kicked of and got her a nice yellow one.

anonandlikeit Tue 30-Dec-08 22:47:46

Oh crap, part of the reason we are swapping is because he has taken a dislike to the m/buggy & is choosing to sit on the ground rather than get in the buggy!

Don't rate my chances of getting hold of anyone before monday either.

SparklyGothKat Tue 30-Dec-08 22:50:48

ds1 has the kid active one he had a purple one before, now he is 11, he choose a black one

anonandlikeit Tue 30-Dec-08 22:56:33

Ah maybe, she did offer us a choice of black, blue or purple.

That one looks OK, fingers crossed. Thanks sparkly.

SparklyGothKat Wed 31-Dec-08 01:09:51

its actually really nice, ds1 is too small for the other nice one, so has to have this one for now

glitteryb6 Wed 31-Dec-08 11:00:04

Apart from the Lomax Kid Active another really popular NHS chair is the Invacare Action 3 Junior...

doclibrary.invacare.co.uk/Office/Europe/Marketing/MktDocUK.nsf/VALLMDocument/E33FF0CEA63ADC7C802571A 30039EE6E/${File}/A3%20Junior%20EP%20UK.pdf

although given the colour choices you were given if it is an Invacare chair its more likely to be the Invacare Blade Plus...

doclibrary.invacare.co.uk/Office/Europe/Marketing/MktDocUK.nsf/VALLMDocument/5D56FA19C099DC8380256EC 2003A8CBA/${File}/Blade%20Plus%20EP%20UK%2004.pdf

glitteryb6 Wed 31-Dec-08 11:02:54

ah ok those links didnt work blush

if you go to www.invacare.co.uk and click on manual wheelchairs you'll get the sales brochures for both chairs with colour choices and spoke covers etc

anonandlikeit Wed 31-Dec-08 16:17:22

Thanks glittery I'll show him those, they look nice (if thats the right word for a wheelchair)

Blu Wed 31-Dec-08 16:25:17

DS's NHS issue wheelchair is an Invacare Blade Plus in blue - he could also choose what colour tyres (black or white) and rim - his is silver. He likes it well enough.
like this but the propelling rim is silver

Blu Wed 31-Dec-08 16:26:18

Actually, DS is v proud of his chair - and currently has tinsel threaded through the tyres - any touch like that seems to add enthusiasm!.

anonandlikeit Wed 31-Dec-08 16:54:17

Thats what i'm hoping blu, maybe he'll be a bit happier with a wheelchair.
DS1 can't wait & keeps telling ds2 that it will be cool, not that ds2 really cares about cool.

I'm just hoping its going to be easier to push than a tall, heavy 6 yr old in a major buggy.

Thanks again

Blu Wed 31-Dec-08 17:13:53

I find a child's wheelchair very uncomfortable to push - the handles are too low, the space between the wheels too narrow - I don't know if anything can be done about handle extensions.
But I would have thought he would feel altogether more grown-up in a wheelchair rather than a major buggy.

glitteryb6 Wed 31-Dec-08 19:57:51

the invacare action 3 junior can be fitted with an optional "push bar" which is kind of like an on its side U shape which clamps across the handles and comes up and across to raise the height by a good 4 or 5 inches. not sure if it can be fitted on the blade tho, but its worth asking about if it is the blade you're issued with

Blu Wed 31-Dec-08 20:57:47

Thanks, glittery - will investigate!

Our physio pushed DS to the car after one appointment, a 'first' for her, and was horrified by the potential damage the position could inflict on an able-bodied parent!

LollipopViolet Thu 01-Jan-09 15:56:19

My friend H, although 16, had to use an Action 3 when her chair was being repaired. I speak from experience, it was heavy! Hope your DS likes his though, I've seen some very nice looking lightweight ones before (again, if you can use the word nice to describe wheelchairs!).

donkeyderby Fri 02-Jan-09 10:19:57

My son has been given a terrible NHS wheelchair - the sort that someone has described as an old lady's. It has small wheels - he can't self propel and is likely to put his hands in the wheels. This, along with the weight makes it almost impossible to push up hills. We live on a huge hill, so we now drive everywhere.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as wheel covers for manual wheelchairs to stop him mangling his fingers? And will the NHS provide?

LollipopViolet Fri 02-Jan-09 13:04:44

I know you can get spoke covers for chairs with the big back wheels, but not for the small ones.

monstermansmum Fri 02-Jan-09 17:55:40

j have seen spoke covers for smaller rear wheels but only on a remploy chair-dont know what model sorry. If its a safety issue and not just a cosmetic reason for needing them then NHS should provide them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now